Wireless Thermometer?

What's new & exciting on your truck?
Xceterra
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Year: 2012

Wireless Thermometer?

Post by Xceterra »

I've had my 2012 Xterra Pro-4X for a couple of weeks now, and I really miss the outdoor thermometer.
I have the dimming rear view, with compass - but no outdoor temp.
When driving on wet roads in the winter, it's nice to know if I could be driving on ice or not.

I've grown lazy over the past decade or so, and I'm no longer as enthusiastic about running wires for a temperature sensor through the dash, firewall, and engine compartment - like I did on my '01.

Technology has come a long way since '01.
Does anyone have experience with or recommendations for wireless automotive thermometers?

I'm looking for something simple, that I could maybe stick on the blank space where the trip computer would have gone.

Thanks very much.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Re: Wireless Thermometer?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You'll still have to run wires for the power unless you want to run off of batteries :P
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:You'll still have to run wires for the power unless you want to run off of batteries :P
True, but it's not THAT hard to rig up a converter. I've got all the bits for a 12v - 5v converter for a discrete USB power circuit. Cost me all of $20, I just need to build the damn thing... Moral, one could be smacked together from a feed off the cigarette lighter plug to supply 3v (which is 2 AA, and I assume that's what the receiver would use), and another right from the battery for another 3v for the thermometer/transmitter. I'm not saying it's the best way to go, but it WOULD cut down wire routing substantially. At least, IMHO. Then again, I'm a little off, so it might just be CRAZY :crazy:
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

Also: I found this on Amazon.com, but it doesn't seem to be easy to find in Canada
http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-7045V-C ... 01-2240022
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

buttsy wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:You'll still have to run wires for the power unless you want to run off of batteries :P
True, but it's not THAT hard to rig up a converter. I've got all the bits for a 12v - 5v converter for a discrete USB power circuit. Cost me all of $20, I just need to build the damn thing... Moral, one could be smacked together from a feed off the cigarette lighter plug to supply 3v (which is 2 AA, and I assume that's what the receiver would use), and another right from the battery for another 3v for the thermometer/transmitter. I'm not saying it's the best way to go, but it WOULD cut down wire routing substantially. At least, IMHO. Then again, I'm a little off, so it might just be CRAZY :crazy:
Oh, i'm not saying you can't do that, but if you gotta run power (one way or another) than why not just run the wire for the temp sensor too :x!
buttsy

Post by buttsy »

And that is a very good point... I need a vacation me thinks...
Xceterra
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Year: 2012

Post by Xceterra »

Thanks very much for your input