Newb info stuff

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Newb info stuff

Post by Scotto »

I'm thinking here that we have had some new guys show up over the last little while, and it might be a nice thing to set up a sticky of some sort that outlines the basic needs for hitting a trail like Minden. I seem to remember from years back we had a does and don'ts sticky, but it was more for guys who had been around the block a few times, and really just trying to push off bone-heads for our trail runs.

This club is now moving into 4th gen folks. And 5th will be up soon. They are going to be the ones that take it over. Let's start them up on the right knowledge, from us old timers who just kind of know stuff, and don't really know we know it.

Anyway, if we older guys all chipped in on a few things, from what the basic stuff you would want in your truck, or on it, to some of the more "you could have it, but not truly necessary" stuff, maybe we could build something for the new guys as they hit trails for the first time. This would alleviate some of the same-old-same-old posts, and truly give the guys and gals new to the sport a launching ground.

So, from here, I am going to ask the guys in the club that have experience to chime in..... From that info, we can harness the best and most often said stuff, and make a sticky. Just remember it's for new folks, probably with no lift, AT tires, nice carpets in the truck, and stuff like that.

What would you have wanted to know for your first couple of trail runs, but no one told you?

I'm thinking bug spray. But maybe that's just me...

Go nuts oldies!
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: Newb info stuff

Post by Morpheus »

Thumbs out
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Yes. Absolutely. I put a little list together for the Minden rookie run, and that is the first thing on my list.

For parts, I'm thinking a spare tie-rod adjuster.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

In the first paragraph, isn't it "do's and don'ts". Can't believe I got ya.
danxe
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: 4Runner Trail Edit.
Year: 2016
Tim's: xl regular

Post by danxe »

EOTB has a good Minimum/Recommended equipment list:
http://www.eotb.ca/index.php?module=New ... ay&sid=247
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Geoffrey wrote: For parts, I'm thinking a spare tie-rod adjuster.
:wave:
I have 5 spares now... 3 stock and 2 custom.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

the x kid wrote:In the first paragraph, isn't it "do's and don'ts". Can't believe I got ya.
Actually I think it should be "dos and don'ts" since it is the plural of do, not the possessive. At least that makes sense to me which doesn't say a lot.

I am not really an old timer per se, but I'll chime in anyway as I know no self-restraint for forum posting:
Don't wheel alone - you are screwed if you break down/get stuck
Make sure your ride is in good working order. The trail is not the place for general maintenance repairs.
Ask about trail difficulty vs. your truck and your experience before you go
Look before you leap - not sure of the terrain, get out of the truck and look or ask for a spotter
take your garbage with you
bring a shovel... and toilet paper!
bring food/water for the day
Keep the rig behind you in your mirror
Wait until the guy ahead of you is fully through an obstacle before starting it.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

no "oldie" here, but just off the top of my head from my experiences, which are always ongoing...
-that there are actually recommended days/seasons to stay away from certain trails,
-that there are associations like the MNR and OF4WD that set guidelines as to how to use and take care of trails, etc..
- that princess auto is your friend
- not to wheel brand new rigs before really understanding what wheelin is all about, or else they may be regrets
- that there are huge costs involved with owning a truck that is wheeled (repairs, mods) and even more costs if you can't do some of the work/maintenance . . . and that a wheeled rig will depreciate much quicker, imho
- never say how great your truck runs and performs, karma has a way with things ;)
- always try and prepare for the worst possible situation(s), expect lemon situations, and make lemonade out of it!
- always ask questions, don't by shy to ask for help, and offer help whenever you can
- try and meet like minded people and find your "niche" with certain groups, go out and meet people
- stay close to those who have been around the block and have lots of experience, they've all been there done that
- learn what commonly breaks with certain trucks/and how and why they break! and try have spares with you (like tie rods) AND learn how to fix them.
- learn the basics of why certain mods are done and prioritize based on what is useful and not what looks good, imho
- lights, rims, tires are overrated, lol, imho again
- steel rims can get dented but be hammered back, alloys can/will crack/break and you're done
- learn how to pick your line, try and visualize where all 4 tires are at all times and where body parts that are closest to getting damaged are, and understand how a vehicle can go over obstacles
- drive within the vehicles limits, momentum is your friend, but too much momentum can break things, lol, it's a fine balance
- learn to drive with the least amount of throttle, just enough to crawl gracefully over obstacles (i see this from every veteran that's wheeled more than 20 years...you can just tell how confident they are and how easy they are on the pedal...and know when to be more aggressive... at least from what i've seen)
- get to know your spotter first, and have trust in them
- "thumbs out" refers to how the steering wheel is held when wheelin, if the thumbs are in/wrapped around the wheel and your front wheels hit an obstacle the wheel can jerk and hurt your thumb/dislocate/fracture it real bad
- gas is expensive, tires/armour and extra crap added to your rig will make mileage even worse!
- the best way to enjoy trails and have less wory on your vehicle is to have a cheap beater that you can afford to have downtime with and dent/break/rash on the trails, if at all possible, imho (i.e. have a gas meiser 4 banger reliable car AND an old reliable wheelin rig that you can maybe have use for in the winter time as well....but like i said, if at all possible)...that's if you don't have 20 to 40G's to spend on a new rig + another 2 to 10G's on mods... otherwise, you'll be that guy with with the new stock rig puckerin all the time and worryin about voiding the warranties, lol (refer to point 4). in other words, have a budget! i heard one vet tell a newb to say set aside 5G's and prioritize what mods are needed and get it done, THEN wheel the dang thing and never look back (and expect not to get that 5G's back!)...you will always loose money in the business, rarely do people make a profit selling their wheelin rigs, let alone break even.
- okay that's enough.

great idea Geoffrey! and diddo with ron's points!
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

CruiserRomey wrote:- never say how great your truck runs and performs, karma has a way with things ;)
NEVER ever ask 'what's the worst that could happen?' while on the trail, unless you want that question answered. Again, karma... Or Murphy's Law?

CruiserRomey wrote:- "thumbs out" refers to how the steering wheel is held when wheelin, if the thumbs are in/wrapped around the wheel and your front wheels hit an obstacle the wheel can jerk and hurt your thumb/dislocate/fracture it real bad
Yup, hurts like a biznitch. I knew better, but my thumb got caught. I make it a habit never to drive with thumbs in.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

murphy's law indeed... yes!

oh, and never, EVER, think or wish that there's another truck that you'd rather have (over your current one), that maybe you think is better than your own truck... your own truck will feel the neglect and it may choose NOT support you and get you home in time of need. love your truck and take great care of it! :) and never wish ill will towards others and their trucks while on the trails, wish for all to make it through the run and back home safely. :)

and hmm, maybe i can adapt an old saying in the motorcycle world which goes ..."there are two types of riders, one's who have gone down, and one's who are going down"... to "there are two types of 4wheelers, one's who have broken down on the trails, and one's who are going to break down or damage something on the trails..." . . . or "one's who make it through, and the one's who don't make it through".
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

What about stuff like deflating tires? Should that be included?

How about basic tool list. Most guys show up with lots, but what ought to be in truck?

Newbs like tires. How about a FYI on tires?

I know we have stuff out there, somewhere...
HolidayNation
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

Geoffrey wrote:What about stuff like deflating tires? Should that be included?

How about basic tool list. Most guys show up with lots, but what ought to be in truck?

For sure it should include Mod type stuff, seems a regular question...where to start, what to start with etc. Maybe a link to definition, short forms page

Never reach out your window to push off big items like trees, cause unless you are Arny, your human parts are gonna break before the truck or tree. DINGS HAPPEN! accept it.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

From my newbie experience...

Don't clean the mud off the dash or window while driving on the trail coz you gonna hit big rocks :x! Watch the trail

Don't carry two spare tires unless you gonna do hardcore stuff. First trip to Minden I had 20L of water and two spares. And then I saw how high the water level was... Haha... Also listen and watch the trail leader when being spotted instead of the rocks
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yep, how about your thoughts Geoffrey, sinc you ARE a seasoned vet! don't think anyone else is willing to add or share their thoughts/experiences.... :?
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Reliable rig
Reliable gear
Reliable friends

Recovery plan
Recovery points
Recovery gear

Tools

Spare tire
Spare parts
Spare clothes
Spare car....you know why

Your head and patience will get you through more then tires, lifts and power.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

CruiserRomey wrote:

yep, how about your thoughts Geoffrey, sinc you ARE a seasoned vet! don't think anyone else is willing to add or share their thoughts/experiences.... :?
I wanted to dig out info from you guys... I'll start taking this stuff that people have posted and put together a small version that is easy to read, not an overload of info, and readily doable for newbs. I hate it when guys think they have to spend a huge amount of $ to prep for a trail, and feel that if they don't they'll somehow be inadequate and possibly made fun of...

The target audience is the guy who in the past showed up with all this new gear and says, "Yeah, I drove down the beach up the cottage and that was really cool, and there was this other time me and my buddies we went down this dirt road and needed the 4x4 to get through this muddy part, that was wild."

Scott
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SE
Year: 2004
Tim's: Double Double

Post by thegoodstink »

I think it's really important to explain to prospective noob offraoders, why said item is important. It's all fine and dandy to say your kit should contain item A, B, and C, but if they don't have any idea why, they may not see the need. Why a high lift jack? Why extra lighting? I always brought a 2x2 sheet of plywood. Why? A pad for the jack, incase I have to use it in the muck, it'll give me a bigger foot print...things like that. Someone said tires aren't as important. I think they are incredibly important. They are my connection to the trail. Offroad LT tires have thicker side walls, rim protection, more aggrssive tread, and just overall, they're more durable. When I built my old pathfinder (god forgive me for selling her), I concentrated on getting to know the truck, and protecting what came with her from the factory. I think the most important things for a noob would be:

Start offroading with experienced people (join a club)
Keep vehicle in tip top condition (get to know your rig)
Get a set of good all terrain tires (used even)
Recovery points (front and rear)

And then from there, the sky is the limit. The learning process begins. Anyone who showed up at a CNTC rookie run, with a stock Xterra, or 4x4 in general, and follows these guidlines, is going to servive his/her first outing. The knowledge, experience, and plenty of spare parts you guys provide will keep anyone going. Just my .02 cents.
04 Xterra 4x4 with added junk
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

That's good stuff, and what I am trying to aim at for this new sticky. Not just the what - but the why.

Well done.
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

thegoodstink wrote:I think it's really important to explain to prospective noob offraoders, why said item is important. It's all fine and dandy to say your kit should contain item A, B, and C, but if they don't have any idea why, they may not see the need. Why a high lift jack? Why extra lighting? I always brought a 2x2 sheet of plywood. Why? A pad for the jack, incase I have to use it in the muck, it'll give me a bigger foot print...things like that. Someone said tires aren't as important. I think they are incredibly important. They are my connection to the trail. Offroad LT tires have thicker side walls, rim protection, more aggrssive tread, and just overall, they're more durable. When I built my old pathfinder (god forgive me for selling her), I concentrated on getting to know the truck, and protecting what came with her from the factory. I think the most important things for a noob would be:

Start offroading with experienced people (join a club)
Keep vehicle in tip top condition (get to know your rig)
Get a set of good all terrain tires (used even)
Recovery points (front and rear)

And then from there, the sky is the limit. The learning process begins. Anyone who showed up at a CNTC rookie run, with a stock Xterra, or 4x4 in general, and follows these guidlines, is going to servive his/her first outing. The knowledge, experience, and plenty of spare parts you guys provide will keep anyone going. Just my .02 cents.
That right there is awesome! Who wants to be told what with out the why. The first thing I was ever told was "come out stock and take your step rails off and see if you like it!".

The next thing I learned and was told was " tires will take you further on a trail than anything else". From there you learn and build.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »