Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Winch install.

Post by PiDGE »

Finally got around to buying a winch this past weekend and could use some guidence with properly wiring it. I get red to +/black to - What I would like to know from other members that have installed one is should I fuse it? I personally fuse anything that goes in the truck in fear of a fire. What size would you recomende?? Have you guys added a disconnect to the battery incase your driving and the damm thing starts spinning. This is the first time ive wired one of these and just looking for some ideas you have or wished you did.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Winch install.

Post by Scotto »

My Warn isn't fused on the Heep. It would probably be best (and easiest) to have a quick disconnect at the battery. Then you can easily load on the winch, and not worry about popping a fuse.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

mine is direct wired, but my thought one day to use a ford starter solenoid, the kind that sits on the inner fender to attach to a switch that I can turn power on and off to the winch.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I used to have a 150amp breaker on it. It came with 3x 50amps in parallel and I've dealt with that kind before and hated them, so picked up a resettable 150amp. 150 was just enough, but as voltage does down from use, amperage draw goes up, thus, breaker pops.

I did a thread asking about fuses/breakers. Had the idea of using a 200amp fuse as a backup just in case. Apparently it's common for winches to be directly connected, as some posted that their manuals even listed to do.

Oh, here we go:
http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... lit=150amp

Really there's no way for the winch to start spinning unless power gets to the solenoid(s). I don't have a power kill switch, but I have a master switch for my in-cabin controls (handy when drunk passengers start playing with my switches).
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

On my old tracker/sidekick I had a Titan winch that had an in-line disconnect. I'm not sure if they can be bought separately but it was very easy to use. Even with that it was wired up without a fuse though.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Winches can draw upwards of 450a at full load. I can't think of a fuse/breaker that will work under those conditions. Direct wire to the battery. If you can figure out a quick disconnect that will not melt under that type of load, even better as a safeguard.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

studum wrote:had an in-line disconnect. I'm not sure if they can be bought separately
Simon wrote:If you can figure out a quick disconnect that will not melt under that type of load, even better as a safeguard.
Princess Auto, under the welding section, has a variety of large quick disconnects that I'm pretty sure went up to at least 0awg
lookzcustoms
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Titan CC offroad
Year: 2006
Tim's: not sure

Post by lookzcustoms »

Simon wrote:Winches can draw upwards of 450a at full load. I can't think of a fuse/breaker that will work under those conditions. Direct wire to the battery. If you can figure out a quick disconnect that will not melt under that type of load, even better as a safeguard.
x2
just hook it up right to the battery
Uprev Injen intake JBA headers Cajun B-pipes Stillen Rad RC traction bars PRG UCA steering heim joints 2"Leveling kit 5100 Bilsteins Brake Performace Premium Brake Rotors & Calipers Nismojunky grounding kit BlackedOut Rims
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

I fused with at 300 with 450 spare (I think) and the ground is switched using an industrial master disconnect. I don't like the idea of direct wiring or the power being live at all times.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Miner Im confused with what your saying "with at 300 with 450 spare" could you say that again please. Got any pics of your set up I could borrow Id like to fuse it as well just in case. I like the idea of the forklift plug thing, but what would go bang if there is a short as you plug it together??? The battery??? the connector??? Today I did manage to get it in the bumper, but ive still got to extend the wires to the box as I've relocated it to the engine compartment.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

PiDGE wrote:Miner Im confused with what your saying "with at 300 with 450 spare" could you say that again please. Got any pics of your set up I could borrow Id like to fuse it as well just in case. I like the idea of the forklift plug thing, but what would go bang if there is a short as you plug it together??? The battery??? the connector???
I don't think he'll have both a 300 and a 450 on hand, I did at one point have a 150amp breaker and a 200amp fuse, but both those got pulled after finding out what they really draw.

What I guess is that his is probably fused with a 300 and had a 450 sitting in the truck somewhere as a spare. If he gets stuck, REALLY stuck, and needs to draw more than 300amp to get himself or someone unstuck, he can.

With anything electrical, as the voltage drops (from heavy winch usage) the amperage goes up. That 300amp fuse may be fine and dandy when you're battery is charged at 14volts, but as you start some heavy and steady winching, your alternator (especially stock alternator) can't keep up, and you'll drop, and easilly drop under 12v, 11v.

300amps @ 14.0v is now 382amps at 11.0v

If something fries, it'll typically be the coil inside the solenoid that'll go.
Miner

Post by Miner »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
PiDGE wrote:Miner Im confused with what your saying "with at 300 with 450 spare" could you say that again please. Got any pics of your set up I could borrow Id like to fuse it as well just in case. I like the idea of the forklift plug thing, but what would go bang if there is a short as you plug it together??? The battery??? the connector???
I don't think he'll have both a 300 and a 450 on hand, I did at one point have a 150amp breaker and a 200amp fuse, but both those got pulled after finding out what they really draw.

What I guess is that his is probably fused with a 300 and had a 450 sitting in the truck somewhere as a spare. If he gets stuck, REALLY stuck, and needs to draw more than 300amp to get himself or someone unstuck, he can.
Exactly. If things really go bad there is also the option of bypassing the fuse. I will try to dig up some pictures.

I have no arching concerns when connecting the winch cable (fork lift connector) as the ground is disconnected when the winch isn't in place.

Note, one winter I didn't remove the fuse and the positive terminal of the connector corroded completely. With the fuse out and the ground disconnected the terminals have survived four winters with no ill effects.

PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Thanks guys. Look foward Miner to those pics. Just tryin to get it right the first time.
Miner

Post by Miner »

PiDGE wrote:Thanks guys. Look foward Miner to those pics. Just tryin to get it right the first time.
PM me your email. I found pics but I'm too lazy to upload to photobucket and post.

PiDGE

Post by PiDGE »

Sorry Miner for the late response I either didnt see your post or was working for the man. pm sent.