warranty with modifications

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
zuknewbie
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2006
Tim's: xl 3sugar double cupped

Post by zuknewbie »

How far do you think you can push the envelope with mods to your truck before getting denied warranty. My 2006 Xterra has a simple spacer and shackle lift and a arb bumper and don't want to get denied warranty after i send it in to get diagnosed for a brake problem i'm having. Truck has never seen any offroading (yet), it is still the wifes daily driver with stepbars and all.
Last edited by zuknewbie on Thu May 24, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Tim's: Double cream

Re: warranty with modifications

Post by Nismojunky »

2006 and still has warranty?
zuknewbie
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by zuknewbie »

extended warranty package
Nismojunky
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

well then you kinda on the limits now but mike should be able to answer this better
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Without getting into TOO many details, most people who've modded their vehicles (many on CNTC) have not had much luck getting warranty work done once their mods are on.

Bottom line, whether we like it or not, is that warranty work costs the manufacturer money, and is a cost that they can somewhat control by not warrantying everything that walks through the door. If they can come up with a reasonable reason to deny a claim, then they will at the very least, try. It's similar to insurance companies really.

Some dealerships are better then others, and it really depends on who you are dealing with at the dealership, so I'm not going to trash (or praise for that matter) any one in particular.

I know that for myself, getting warranty work done on my truck was 100% related to who my service advisor was, and how knowledgeable they were at their job. I went in for an oil change and commented that I thought my passenger side manifold might be cracked. Sure enough, they called me to say I was right, it was cracked and that they were going to replace it. When I went to the counter, the bill I was given was $1100. I politely said to the Advisor that the job should be covered under warranty because the vehicle was still withing the warranty period. He argued briefly, but I stood my ground because I knew I was right. He decided he would check the computer, and sure enough, it was under warranty, and the work performed should be covered. I walked out paying only for my oil change. Had I not been aware that the manifolds were covered, I'd have been out of pocket $1100.

Anyways, I would send a PM to Morpheus to discuss the issue and take it from there. He can at the very least give you advice on how to approach the situation with your local dealership.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

The end answer is, as people say us up to the dealer you are dealing with.

If you modify a vehicle, it puts strain on items.

You just have to be logical and reasonable. If your radio quits, it's got nothing to do with a lift, but if a ujoint fails, then it is directly caused by the lift.

As a general rule, if you lift your truck, you are pretty much giving up any warranty on all your driveline components (within reason)

If there's an item you feel should be covered, and a dealer denies it, you can try speaking to the service manager and educating him/her on how your modifications couldn't affect it, or you could simply try a different dealer.

Don't bother with Nissan Canada, because the end result will probably simply be the voiding of your complete extended warranty.

Sent from the centre of my universe using Tapatalk
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
zuknewbie
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by zuknewbie »

Truck is booked in for next wednesday with Mike so i feel comfortable everything will be taken care of.