time to buy here again:)

Welcome to CNTC. Please check in here before posting!
BlueSteel
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: the coming
Year: 2005
Tim's: DD ~L

time to buy here again:)

Post by BlueSteel »

I think this time I will be buying a Frontier 05-08 or a Tacoma. (I am partial to the Fronty just cause of my X that I used to have- no problems) This is usually a process here for me lol I have been looking but the range is crazy jumps from 15 to 26g's what's a good deal money wise for those years? What has really changed if anything with the Frontier in those years.

Thanks any input will be appreciated as a little insight could save me some $$ :)

:woot:
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Re: time to buy here again:)

Post by CruiserRomey »

hmm., 30 views and no response, okay well, so here, i invite you to come into the darkside...and grab a taco! lol
thought of this post after reading yours.. (a friend was looking for the right one, just some talk on different tacos/options..)

http://www.sontt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2755

..funny enough, he ended up with an old fixer upper.

eitherway, g'luck on your hunt for the next pickup!
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

I don't think anything significant changed on the frontiers between those years, so go with the latest possible. I always think it's better to do so if you plan on keeping this truck for a long time. The later in production, the more chance they have to work out the kinks (unless you're talking early pathfinders >.<)

if you're gonna wheel it a lot, i would get a tacoma of the '04 vintage. If size (being too small) is an issue go with a later model frontier or tacoma. Toyota definitely holds value better than nissan as well, but I am not sure that's as big a difference with the later model examples of those trucks.

Oh yeah, check the toyota frames well for rust. They have some reports of it being troublesome on a few of those. I haven't heard as much about it from the nissan crowd.
OF4WD Member #5472
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

agreed with Nige. somethin about the newer, newer stuff. just did a quick non-scientific peruse on kijiji...apples to apples..sorta

2011-12 taco (25-35Gs)
2011-12 frontier (25-30Gs)

2008 tacos (14G - 26G range)
2008 frontier (13G-17G range)

2005 taco (11G-18G range)
2005 frontier (7G-13G range)

2004 taco (6-16G range) although i didn't notice much 2004's for sale..maybe everyone's keeping them!
2004 frontier( 8-10G range)

taco's changed at 2005..maybe some would think that they're not making them as reliable anymore (along most new trucks for that matter).
with resale down the road..you'd be better off with an unmolested low K taco (they start out close when new, but resale changes over the years..). and assuming the 04's were more reliable...then i'd shop around for a clean one..at a good price. but that's just me. (actually if it was me, i'd grab a low K 90's jdm/gasser taco/hilux 4 door with solid axles, and easier on the fuel 22RE motor, 5spd, mint and rust free offcourse..for under 15G's and calling it a day..and roll like crocodile hunter :) ) 2 cents.

is the truck gonna get wheeled on just d/d work duties?
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

I think the only "significant" difference in Frontiers from 05 to 08 is the available box lengths on Crew Cab models.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Just watch out for rad/tranny fluid cross contamination on the earlier Fronty's. I'm not sure when they fixed it, look it up it's rather common. Easily avoidable issue DIY by bypassing and adding an external cooler.

Also the earlier timing chain guides could tend to become noisy. I believe they revised them at some point, but not sure when.

Those are the only two most common issues with the newer body style Fronty's and Nissan supposedly addressed them at some point after the first model year or two. Again, I'm just not sure when though.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
BlueSteel
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by BlueSteel »

I have been looking at the Tacos here they are cheaper then the Frontiers at least when I did a search on kijiji. Do the Tacos have a rear locker been looking and I don't see that the TRD truck truck models have a rear locker? The FJ does but I don't want another SUV lookin for a truck this time.
thx :)
Nismojunky
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

studum wrote:Just watch out for rad/tranny fluid cross contamination on the earlier Fronty's. I'm not sure when they fixed it, look it up it's rather common. Easily avoidable issue DIY by bypassing and adding an external cooler.

Also the earlier timing chain guides could tend to become noisy. I believe they revised them at some point, but not sure when.

Those are the only two most common issues with the newer body style Fronty's and Nissan supposedly addressed them at some point after the first model year or two. Again, I'm just not sure when though.
your forgetting the weak ass front diff, early one had a 4 speed auto horrible on gas, I love my nissans but there **I have a filthy mouth, pass the soap** slipping lately
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

BlueSteel wrote:I have been looking at the Tacos here they are cheaper then the Frontiers at least when I did a search on kijiji. Do the Tacos have a rear locker been looking and I don't see that the TRD truck truck models have a rear locker? The FJ does but I don't want another SUV lookin for a truck this time.
thx :)
i've seen a few with rear lockers on the trd's.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Nismojunky wrote: your forgetting the weak ass front diff, early one had a 4 speed auto horrible on gas, I love my nissans but there **I have a filthy mouth, pass the soap** slipping lately
Now that you mention it ya I've heard of that, but I only know what I've seen while reading to try and solve my own problems lol. I definitely wasn't aware of the 4spd in the early 2nd gens, unless you're referring to first gen like mine. In which case yes, it is my least favourite feature of my truck...
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
BlueSteel
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by BlueSteel »

Going looking around 2morrow as of right now the Taco is cheaper then the Fronty the ones I have seen so far.