Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

Canada roof top tents! check it out!

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Canada roof top tents! check it out!

Post by CruiserRomey »

hi fellow 4x4'ers, just thought i'd post this here too. i picked up this tent near the end of the summer after noticing another post on the toyota forum ( http://www.sontt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2754 ). first thing i noticed was the price for what you got! so did some researching and managed to get a hold of guys out west who have purchased the tent/awnings from Andy. all had nothing but great things to say (i cut and paste the PM's i got from guys on a delica forum i'm on).

http://rooftoptent.webs.com/

just a little bit on the seller. he's an avid 4x4 outdoorsy guy who loves overlanding trips (that's his defender on the pics). he has direct contact with the manufacturing in china. and he's about to start a new brand of offroading gear (expedition fridge is next). he's selling these RTT's at a very VERY reasonable rate, prolly the best i've seen in years. it comes with awning/room, and annex room under the tent. i was skeptical at first but heard nothing but good honest feedback from the guys out west (he's in langley, BC). myself and another cruiser guy i know (just so happens we have the same rig) both took the plunge and wired Andy the money. he shipped our boxes at the same time and they arrived in just a few days.

here's some pics documenting assembly..

so far so good, pretty straight forward assembly. but i've yet to sleep in it! might do a quick overnighter somewhere north not too far..

here's a quick description of assembly...(same as on the other thread)

comes shipped in 3 boxes. the tent, awning, and annex room.

open main box and find instructions and orient yourself to which way the tent folds..

undo straps holding tent closed

open tent, simply unfold, inside you'll find more parts for it (hardware, etc.)

quick view on the inside, got real excited here, sooo cozy in there!
(bungees across are there to keep sides in when folding tent closed, simply unhook them after set up.)

main cover, bowes for the windows, hardware, instructions, etc..

instructions pretty straight forward too. notice all SS hardware. comes with two wrenches.

all you really have to do is mount the aluminum rails onto the bottom of the tent, and decide which way you want to open it (left/right side of the vehicle, awning will go on the opposite side)

telescoping ladder. this is a huge improvement from the other models (some requiring extensions). this ladder is quite stout AND lightweight! it just accordions down and easily adjusts to the height you need to level the tent. mount ladder to tent. (the problem with other ladders is they're too short and don't make up for vehicle lifts).

Image]

so i chose to have the tent fold over onto the left side of the vehicle, which means my awning will go on the right side (this awning has it's own room). figured we'd chill under the awning, and it'd be nice to be closer to the drivers side (right hand drive).

if you have the tent fold over to the rear of the vehicle, you'll be able to use the same aluminum base mounts that goes onto your thule load bars as an attachment point for the awning. otherwise, you'll have to use the end of the load bar (by drilling holes to mount L bracket for awning).

but if you go over the back, you will limit use of the back door of your rig, depending on how it opens. mine is a clamshell type of doors, so the top hatch would butt up against the extended floor of the tent..so i went sideways.

the stainless steel hardware simply slides through the aluminum base/rail, 2 on either side of the thule load bar. i just measured 30" appart from each bar to spread the weight evenly. you'll need an extra pair of hands to hoist the RTT over the load bars (very light with 2 guys lifting). make sure they are snug and square. tighten brackets.

then you gotta orient the top cover so that the one end that doesn't come off (side that drapes over one end) and feed the zipper base which mates with the cover..around 3 sides of the tent..

this end is fixed to the main cover, slide that through the remaining side of the tent...

mate the top cover with the corresponding zipper ends and zip her shut to test fit.

to set up tent, unzip the 3 sides (all one zipper) and fold over cover towards the hinge side.

hop up on the side of the truck to get at the ladder, pull it to extend, use it as leverage, and carefully open the tent and drop the ladder feet on the even ground. adjust ladder accordingly and voila!

ran out of time to zip in the annex/change room, next time! but you can see it in Mikes pics.
Last edited by CruiserRomey on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Re: Canada roof top tents! check it out!

Post by CruiserRomey »

some awning pics..

back of the awning. closed up it's all sealed from the elements, zipper facing down

same strong vinyl cover as the main cover for the tent..

SS hardware.

this side pole is for attaching the room onto, and adds rigidity to the awning. it rolls out and poles fold down on both corners. lots of metal, but it's all aluminum and quite light to pick up.

anyway, hope to get it all done soon before i change my mind about sneakin out a cold campin trip! lol. will definitely post more pics, fun stuff. :)
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

here's also why i went with this set up:

- ALL stainless steel fittings
- thicker 300g fabric vs 250 from the competitors
- all aluminum
- stock with already a taller ladder to make up for lifts (some companies sell an extension, his doesn't need it)
- longer (taller) annex/awning rooms, removable floors
- the awning connectors are metal (vs plastic from others, which have been reported by some to break)
- he warranties his parts. if you were local, all you do is stop by and he'll replace free of charge. if your outa town, then you just pay for shipping of faulty items, then he'll send new ones (not that this has been an issue).

feel free to ask any questions about the RTT, fun for me. if you're interested, just give Andy a call or email him. tell him romey sent you or that you saw the add here or on sontt :). lots have bought out west. i think i'm only the 3rd in s.ontario.

btw, i've driven with it for a couple days, it's barely noticeable up there, no concerns (except for underground parking, lol)

will report back after a sleep in this tent, and will post more detailed pics of it all layed out.
agentorange
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1987
Tim's: That depends

Post by agentorange »

Very cool! I really like the picture at http://rooftoptent.webs.com/ of the tent mounted on a military trailer. Something like that would work really well with my Jeep. It would be cool to be able to leave the trailer/tent at camp when running trails. Or could take the trailer along on easier trails. Please report back once you have tried the tent out! :)
A bad day wheeling is always better than a good day at the office...
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yeah, this RTT on an m101 would be saweet! will do agentorange! although i know it's gonna be a fun experience and i know i'll be quite pleased with it!

if ya'lls haven't noticed, this blue print/design has been done by about a dozen RTT companies... (not just in n.america but in australia as well) i did a lot of research, it boils down to how they want it made (they're NOT made the same from one brand to another). what motivated me on this is the fact that Andy did not want to make another "cheap chinese" tent so better parts/materials where used. the fabric comes in different thicknesses, others use cheaper hardware, he uses stainless steel, etc..
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

hmmm

ImageImage

I like the M101 (or M101A1 below) idea with the tent setup high enough not to loose the annex and awning rooms.

:thumbup:
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yep, i like all those ideas! but yeah, you need to raise it to really get the full benefit of the annex/room and awning/room. right now, i don't have a use for a trailer quite yet and call haul all our junk in the land cruiser.

btw, the current promo on the tent is $1450 + $50 shipped anywhere in canada (i believe an arb simpson III by itself is close to 2 grand, that's w/out the annex room/awning/room). if anyone's interested, maybe we can set up a group buy to drop it some more. just let me know, shoot me a pm or post up here.

Andy has a customer headed to s.america with this set up...i hope he's got a blog on it!
HotWod
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

Romey, you're nuts!!! Sleep in the back of your truck like a real man!

(I'm Just jealous, I'm making my trailer this winter and would love to add a tent to it) Any chance we could get together and I could take some measurements?
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

lol. is this man enough for you?

hahaha.

yeah, the RTT is the condo suite for the fam. and if needed we can take showers under the annex and chill under the enclosed awning/room on a rainy day :)
Last edited by CruiserRomey on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

Specification:

Size: 56"W x 96"L x 50"Ht. (Open)

Size: 56"W x 48"L x 14" Ht. (Closed)

Covered end: 3' overhang

:)

yeah Rod, post up a build thread on that trailer dude!
HotWod
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

I will, its just going to be a Jacked up, utility trailer. With the option of housing an RTT.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

sweeet! more sh*t to haul on the trails! lol.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

http://www.tepuitents.com/models/autana.html

http://rooftoptent.webs.com/

http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php? ... &c=&id=116

hmm, i like how the specs are almost written in the same format. but the difference is how thick the fabric is...200g, vs 260g vs 300g ripstop fabric on the canada roof top tent. ;) and ladders used. some almost identical models between tepui and CVT. check the price in US $ just for the tent.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've been running an RTT for a while now actually, I got mine from Duncan @ Titan in Burlington.

http://www.titanwinches.com/index.php?a ... oductId=38

Duncan's used 380g material and I'm very happy with it. My cover is worn so I've contacted him not long ago for a replacement cover. I've always wanted to make a fiberglass cover, maybe one day. You are probabaly right about the ladder, we'll see how it goes when I get my final lift installed, but it'll be close. The design is pretty much identical to Duncan's, I could always inquire about their ladder if anything, unless Titan also gets one that's idential. Mounting hardware I had to use longer bolts to accomodate the thicker stock Xterra rack.

Anyway, there's a few options out there, but I love mine, too bad I didn't/couldn't use it once this year :(

In the future, I want to build an off-road trailer using the box half of a 1st gen Frontier...

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yep, nice tent! this is one of the older designs still around with all the other companies as an option. (where's it say 380g?)

anyway, christmas sale...ho, ho, ho.! ..shipping included for everything!

Christmas sale free shipping is back

http://rooftoptent.webs.com/christmas-sale

btw, just got back from a camping trip with junior. will post up more pics shortly. RTT was awesome. 2nd time setting up and it was a breeze. junior loved it!!
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

imho, i'd just keep the original cover/replacement. a fibreglass cover will just add unnecessary weight.

some identical models to titan's (not that they're the originators)

http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php? ... &c=&id=114
looks like CVT is knockin off the orgiinal maggiolinas/columbus from autohome. ( http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php? ... &c=&id=118 and another clam shell from haniball http://www.hannibal.co.za/default.asp?pageid=555 and http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php at close to double the cost)

http://www.tepuitents.com/models/kukenam.html

http://www.campinglab.com/carpatecho02.html

http://www.mombasabrand.com/shop/index. ... uct&id=153

http://www.hannibal.co.za/default.asp?pageid=541

some guys are concerned about using this RTT (or any for that matter) on a trailer and not getting full use of the annex/changeroom. here's a cool idea...just raise the mounts.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... impson-RTT

anyway, lots of info out there, do your research. they're all made in the east (or at least the majority of them) unless you want to spend some serious coin on autohomes which are prolly the best RTT's you can get.

but at the end of the day, it just needs to work and give you shelter (and be made of quality materials). @ $1450 shipped anywhere in canada for the RTT, annex room, AND awning WITH changeroom (both with floors)...you just can't go wrong. :)
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

CruiserRomey wrote:yep, nice tent! this is one of the older designs still around with all the other companies as an option. (where's it say 380g?)
I bought mine back in 2008, not long after I got my truck actually. Was "only" $800 back then, was the last one before his next order for the following year went up about $100-$150.

Ya, I looked too, it doesn't have it listed on his current site, but in my "review thread", I did a copy and paste from his site at the time. He had a more rudimentary website back then and has totally changed since then of course.

A fiberglass cover wouldn't add much weight. The CNTC crew has witnessed me trail with it often. They're usally really concerened about it when I do, and I do appreciate their concern, but I'd rather not inconvinient them on the trail run because of my choice of shelter. We did have to remove it last year at AW because of a downed tree. The only concern for it was for low branches constantly rubbing on it. A fiberglass cover would be very light, and the nice thing is that branches would effortlessly flow over.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

cool cool. do what you gotta do (i guess even a cap front to back just to deflect branches could do the job, or extra material like a thick tarp strapped around would stand the constant rubbing). on that note, i was thinkin of somehow makin that front edge more aerodynamic..i guess you could make a sharper front end to it to slice through the wind. that box on top can't be good for mileage. (gonna see what i get after this tank up....)
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well if you start adding tarps and tying them down, than you take away from the ease of setup of the RTT. It's not really an expensive project, been a few years I've worked with fiberglass, but sadly I don't have the money or place to work on such a thing. Indeed you could shape it as you wish.

I've even make a custom Hi-Lift roof-rack mount with lock that just clears my RTT, I'm quite happy and proud of it actually, heh.

Mileage with it is neglible on the Xterra (her PMS affects the mileage more than anything), I've matched my best tanks with it on, but with high winds I've noticed a drop.

Not trying to be difficult, but I'm just staying I've got some decent mileage running with an RTT, and telling you on my thoughts and experiences with it, where I used it to actually need a new, replacement cover for it.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

True. I look forward to seeing that FB cover and see how you plan on mounting it, should be a nice project. Negligible mileage, wow, thats great aerodynamics then, must be the deflector doin its thing. (btw, whats decent mileage for your X?) nice hilift mount! Boils down to what works for you in the end. Cheers.