Insurance Surprise Today

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
963rdgen
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Toyota 4runner
Year: 1996
Tim's: Chili.

Insurance Surprise Today

Post by 963rdgen »

Called my insurance today about adding a new vehicle to the policy, as we've been looking at a lx450. They asked if it had any modifications to it, and I left out the lift kit but told him about the ARB. Apparently they won't insure any vehicle with any modifications that are not offered as accessories from the manufacturer.

I asked if I put my addicted offroad bumper and winch on my current truck and he told me it will then be uninsurable through them. This was Primmum insurance through TD. Anyone else have any issues? Their rates and policies (I believe) come through TD which is one of the biggest companies.

I can't believe this, I didn't even look or think this would be an issue. Unfortunately our policy isn't up until april.

A couple of the guys gave me a lead on Intact insurance through facebook, so i'll call them tomorrow.

Anyone else have a company they can recommend that insures modified rigs?

Thanks,
James
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Re: Insurance Surprise Today

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Search for "Insurance" yields ...

http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... nce#p68321

Do call Palladium. I did recently, and the only reason I haven't switched over is that my current insurer is not holding an earlier claim (small) against me, but the new one would; once that time period expires, I'll switch. In exchange for being so reasonable about your vehicles they will want your complete insurance business - all vehicles and the house. That was not a problem for me because they were not wanting more than I pay now.

Good luck.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

I have everything...but my life...insured with TD Meloche Monnex. Their rate package for PEO is the biggest discount in the industry. They are/were aware that the truck is "accessorized" but it may be in a grey area.

To me they cannot deny you insurance because you have replaced original parts with upgrades. That would be like saying every car and truck with upgraded (bigger) rims and a tuned exhaust isn't covered.

From purchasing a commercial truck before Christmas I know they cannot insure commercial or "incomplete" vehicles, it isn't in there scope period. Their underwriters and policy limits will not allow it regardless of circumstances. Note the only thing that made the truck commercial is that it was originally sold as a chassis cab (no box), making the truck incomplete.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
CAB
Make/Model: Frontier SV
Year: 2011

Post by CAB »

Wow, i just ordered a shrock front bumper for my daily driver Frontier and hadn't given a thought about this until seeing thsee threads. Im not so concerned about being covered for the cost of the bumper as much as a liability issue if i were to hit someone side on, or god forbid a pedestrian. I could definitely see how you could inflict more damage to what/who you hit with the Shrock bumper but then again, would cause less damage to my rig if i hit a deer.

How about if you had plow gear installed to do your driveway? There are just so many scenarios that could go down with accessories/ mods.

Think ill get in touch with my agent and dance around this a little to see what they say...
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

As a general rule, it's best not to mention that you've modified the vehicle, they automatically think of riced out civics.

If you have an accident, and a part is damaged, the insurance will cover the cost of the same factory part. Ie: the bumper is damaged, they will pay for a factory bumper.

I most cases the factory part will be similar in price, unless the ins co starts getting into used parts.

Worst case, you may have to pay a repair shop the difference between what the insurance company is paying and what the replacement cost is.

That is one of the risks we take with modifying our trucks.

Sent from the centre of my universe using Tapatalk
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
CAB

Post by CAB »

Yeah i get that, but my main worry is getting denied coverage if i get sued by someone who says my heavy duty steel bumper caused them or their car excessive damage.

I agree though and will read the fine print of my policy. if it doesn't mention modifications ill leave it be.

To the original poster: Have you asked them if they would deny coverage if you had after market wiper blades, mud flaps, or non OEM brand tires? How about aftermarket air filter, oil filter etc etc. I have some experience with primmum and they were by far the worst insurance company I've dealt with.
963rdgen
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by 963rdgen »

It was funny, the guy on the phone was very nice and almost knew how unreasonable the company was, apologized and suggested they're one of the more strict companies.

One of the guys on the Toyota board gave me his sister in-law's contact info as she's an insurance broker.

I can't believe after bringing this up how many people are just hoping that they don't get screwed in the event of an accident. Insurance companies will screw you any which way possible, and to think that they'd overlook a big steel bumper in the event of an accident is doubtful.

It might be worth a hundred or two a year to switch to a different company and avoid it. Imagine you hit someone and it killed them, you could be so screwed.

I looked into the company you guy's mentioned but the 10k a year restriction won't work for me unfortunately.

I will certainly update you guys when I find a reasonable company. Until then I'd look into it.
minidisco
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Xterra OFFROAD
Year: 2010
Tim's: Iced Cap, biggest size

Post by minidisco »

Miner wrote:I have everything...but my life...insured with TD Meloche Monnex. Their rate package for PEO is the biggest discount in the industry. They are/were aware that the truck is "accessorized" but it may be in a grey area.
Ditto here. They raised no red flags about my Shrockworks bumper, lifts, etc.
CAB

Post by CAB »

[/quote]Ditto here. They raised no red flags about my Shrockworks bumper, lifts, etc.[/quote]

You flat out told them you have a shrock bumper?
noey
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Land Cruiser BJ42
Year: 1981

Post by noey »

If anyone wants to contact my sister in law for a quote contact Mary at m.rivera@merit-insurance.com and tell her Noel sent ya. She's a broker/underwriter representing several companies.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Kinda off topic but does anyone know where you could get temporary insurance, for like a month or something? I want to move a vehicle but I don't plan on driving it for a while afterwards, and I would rather drive it instead of renting a trailer from uhaul and waiting for my buddy to pull it with his half-ton chev when he has time. My insurance company only does 6-months or 1-year terms.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Know anyone with a dealer plate?

Where is the vehicle, and what is it? There may be other options that are cheaper then the u-haul rental,
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Adam

Post by Adam »

It is a pathfinder similar to mine. It is perfectly driveable I just don't feel like registering it right now. It is at my grandmothers house but the house is too big for her so she moved into my aunts house. The truck is in the garage and I never hear the end of it from my relatives. So I want to move it. Its not like she has a car lol...

I have a friend who told me a while back he could get a dealer plate, but I'm not sure now, I'll have to ask him again. Does it matter who the vehicle is registered to? I don't think I ever swapped it into my name, I had planned on it but life got in the way.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

If you are considering doing things not totally within the realms of the law, just take the plates off of your other pathfinder and use those. Otherwise, do it right and get it into your name - without which you cannot have any insurance and if it is worth anything, you should. JMO
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

By law you can put your plates in the new vehicle, and you have 7 days to go and change the ownership into your name.
Nothing says you can't change your mind on day 3 and not change the ownership yet.

You can also ask your insurance company to temporarily transfer insurance coverage to another vehicle while your truck is "garaged for repair" nudge nudge wink wink.

Sent from the centre of my universe using Tapatalk
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well i ended up calling the insurance company we deal with and the price I would have to pay to do this legally would be more than just renting a trailer. So I guess I'm gonna do that...And use my pathfinder to tow it, its not that far, should be ok.

Maybe I'll get a dolly instead of a full trailer.

Sorry for the thread-jack!

Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

963rdgen,

Any luck?

If not, any educational stories to tell?
ironian
Make/Model: Xterra Pro 4X
Tim's: Large Black

Post by ironian »

WOW. I am with Primmum as well and have never had any issues with them. I don't have any "mods" yet but I will keep this in mind when I do!
963rdgen
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by 963rdgen »

I should have better answers this week!

James
ckc123
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2010

Post by ckc123 »

Wow.. I know my insurance covers my TAG bumper cause they paid for me to upgrade from my stock one to the TAG.

there was a clause in my insurance that they would pay for a "betterment" (eg the aftermarket bumper is better than the stock, so they paid an additional $600 to cover the extra costs). I told them that if I got hit in a parking lot again (like I did last time) that they would not dent the 1/4 steel.