VG engine/transmission compatibility

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
grant
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2000
Tim's: Starbucks!

VG engine/transmission compatibility

Post by grant »

Hey all,

Yes, I know I haven't been here in a LONG time. I have a question that I should know the answer to, but I don't.

On a Gen 1 Xterra, Can the engine from an automatic truck mate with a manual transmission? This is not something that we would have done way back when I was at nissan and now I need to finally get my crap together and put an engine in my truck.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: VG engine/transmission compatibility

Post by Morpheus »

To the best of my knowledge the only difference would be the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft, but I have never seen someone try, I'd be worried about the electronics too.

Sent from the centre of my universe using Tapatalk
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

For what I would know, although there may be an exemption that ould exist, that motors of any sort are not dependant on the transmission type. You either have to swap the pilot pushing or flex plate from the automatic motor and replace it with a manual flywheel. In my Mx-3, my KLZE I swapped in was from an automatic car (only came in an Automatic with the version I wanted/got). We removed the automatic flex plate and put on my original flywheel.

Some motors have some differences, like cam profiles (automatic KL's had cam profiles that gave more torque down low), or on the S/C Xterra/Frontier, the auto gets 1psi more boost, but minor differenes that wouldn't stop you from using that motor.

Electronics shouldn't be different. Your not doing an automatic to manual conversion (or visa versa) so it should be a non-issue. The engine of the same design should use all the same sensors and locations. If your doubting anything, you swap sensors from your old motor, plain and and simple.

The only examples I have are from my Mx-3/Mazda K-series experience, but there were some differences in sensors depending on the year and model. Some had 2 coolant sensors on the coolant neck, but the later ones had only 1, so if you got a motor what was the opposite on what you had, you just swapped the coolant neck from your original on to the new motor. Also the motors ran long enough that they came in OBDI, ODBII, OBDII+MAF (rather than a VAF) and even from distributor to coilpacks, but it didn't matter, you took the sensors and systems off your original motor and transplanted them to the new one.

Typically the original transmission would be a non-issue, and anything different would require some motor parts swappage from the original to the doner.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I re-read your post and my answer. I misunderstood, I read it as a transmission swap when I mentioned electronics. Ignore that part of my post.

Sent from the centre of my universe using Tapatalk
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676