Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Solar Yellow Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large Regular

2" Body Lift weekend?

Post by yazza »

Anyone interested in getting together to help me do a 2" body lift on my 2003 Xterra?

I am thinking of doing it either January 4 or 11, 2014.

I think I have everything I need, but what I really need is someone who has done this before to help me!!!!!
Lukexskywalker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2002
Tim's: lg black coffee

Re: 2" Body Lift weekend?

Post by Lukexskywalker »

I might be able to help, Start spraying all the body bolts every couple days they will be seized. I will let you know for sure if I can make it.
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

Lukexskywalker wrote:I might be able to help, Start spraying all the body bolts every couple days they will be seized. I will let you know for sure if I can make it.
Can they just be cut-off or are they too hard to get at?
Last edited by yazza on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lukexskywalker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Lukexskywalker »

I know Slavex had to cut out a piece of the floor I believe to get at one to cut it off... He's Done a few BL's Ill see if he can come.
BigRed44
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2007
Tim's: French Vanilla

Post by BigRed44 »

If i'm around i'll come out and help where i can
OF4WD 6318
HAM Call Sign VA3ERX
CNTC Member BigRed44
Overland Bound 9362
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

On the first Gen X, the middle bolt, and the rear most bolt (on each side) are threaded into captured nuts inside the body, so no access to both sides to cut and replace like the rest of them.

If you snap the bolt, you have to cut the floor to get at the nut. The nut is tack welded into the body, so not overly difficult to get out, but you need to be comfortable with making a small incision into the floor of your truck, that's all. It's the only way to get the broken bolt out.

Once it's been removed, you can replace the nut, and thread your longer bolt into that.

Spraying the bolts with a PB blaster of Liquid Wrench is your best bet, but it's tough to get the fluid to creep UP effectively enough to break loose any rust welding that has occurred over the last 10 years.

What I normally suggest is finding the spot where the bolt goes up into the body, then go inside the cab and pull the carpet back. You should be able to find the spot where the nut is. Once you find it, drill a small hole down so that you can insert the little straw from the PB blaster or alternative fluid, and spray from the top side. That way your fluid can creep downwards through the threads, hopefully making it more effective. Sure, it involves drilling 4 small holes into your truck, but it could save you from having to cut the body later to get at things after you've snapped the bolts.

And I would say to plan for snap bolts now. Just go ahead and assume that you are going to snap at LEAST one of them. Your vehicle is 10 years old now, so the chances of you getting them all out without any trouble are not great. If you plan for them to break, you'll have everything you need to continue the job without having to scramble...

Good luck!
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

What he said ^ I have helped with a few BL's including my own and every single one the bolts broke and the floor was cut open. Luckily we had a welder around to stitch the floor back together.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

I'm getting excited! I'll finally be able to mount 32's!

What else do I need to prepare?

Does anyone have a garage? I have access to two, one in Cambridge that is is unheated, the other is in a garage club in St George, they are a little fussy to deal with, but they have every tool imaginable.

Those of you who have done this before - can we get it done in one day?
Lukexskywalker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Lukexskywalker »

Ya we should be able to get it done in one day but we need to start in the morning around 8 or 9ish. Does any of these places have a welder? Like Jay said we should plan on cutting the floor whether we have to or not.
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

I'll talk to my buddy with the garage connection about which date is best for him,
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Without too many issues, and having everything on hand, you can get this done in 4-5 hours... Simon and I did mine in his garage in about 5 hours, and we weren't rushing whatsoever.

Even WITH issues, if you are prepared for the things that will likely come up, you should have no problems getting it done in a day.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

As others have mentioned spray spray spray. Even with spraying be prepared for the unforeseen. On my 05 I had one that frigged up, but nothing I couldn't deal with. And that's with rust check annually and spraying for 2
Weeks prior.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

Does anyone have Big Bird's phone number?
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

Looks like January 11 in Cambridge. A friend is loaning me his garage for the weekend - it's not too well equipped, but should be good enough.

No hoist, but it does have a furnace, so we'll have heat. I'm planning to put the truck in his garage Friday night with the heat on, so it can thaw out overnight and be dry to work on Saturday morning.

Details to follow.
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

I've heard it's a good idea to re[place both the top and bottom rad hoses with longer ones.

Does anyone know the part number for the correct longer hoses and where I can order them?

I saw one example on a US Xterra forum where they purchased longer hoses that had the correct bends and diameter, but had to be cut down to fit. I tried to find them via the part number they listed, but the part number was not applicable to any Canadian retailer.
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

When I did mine I took the stock hose into a parts place and compared it to a bunch on the shelf with the same diameter, but taller in height to make up the new difference. I had to cut it shorter horizontily a little, but that was no biggie. If you can't take it off ask buddy at the counter for yours and just compare that one. I've got one for a Volvo Something now for the past 5 years or so and zero problems knock on wood lol. I should note mines an 05, but same principal.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

We are doing the lift this Saturday, January 11, starting at 9 am.
at
108 Elgin ST N, Cambridge
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=108+Elgin ... 95,,0,4.92

Look for the house with the Suzuki Sidekick in the driveway.
We will be in the garage behind the house, let yourself in the yard and walk through to the garage, you can park on the street or in the alley behind the house.
They have a dog but he is VERY friendly.

Spent some time today removing skid plates, loosening some nuts/parts, oiling everything again, basic prep-work.

I am going to take the truck to the garage on Friday night and finish as much of the pre-lift stuff as I can, so we should be ready to start in the body bolts first thing Saturday.

I will bring a coffeemaker, and some beer if anyone wants beer - let me know if you are coming and what beer you want!

PM me if you have any questions.
Anesh
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Tim's: 2/2 coffee and donut

Post by Anesh »

I should be able to lend a hand.!
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yazza »

Everything went well, huge thanks to Luke, Alex and Mike for all your help!

We only broke one body mount bolt, so the two and a half cans of PB Blaster I sprayed on the bolts over the past weeks seemed have to really help.

Time to do body lift:

Saturday Jan. 4 - 2 hours: general inspection, remove skid plates, spray bolts (every bolt that would need to be loosened), remove lower fan shroud, remove plastic door sills

Friday, Jan 10 - 4 hours: spraying bolts, removing skid plates, bumpers, trailer hitch, build front bumper 2" risers, loosen steering shaft bolts, etc. There are two really annoying hangers on the ends of the bumper - in front of the tires. I am sure there is some magical way of getting the bumper on and off these, but I ended up trying to remove them, and broke bolts on both of them, which had to be drilled out and replaced.

Saturday, Jan 11 - 11 hours: Another hour of spraying bolts, loosening, and disconnecting misc. things. About 5 hours to do the actual lift, including: removing the 10 mounting bolts, getting out broken bolt, jacking, inserting pucks and new bolts. Tightening and torking new bolts. Re-assembly took about 5 more hours, including: re-connecting everything, cutting new upper rad hose (I used the upper rad hose from a Toyota pick-up, after cutting 3" off it, it was a perfect fit.), re-drilling rear bumper mounts and attaching bumper. Also spent some time rust spraying frame with Formula 3000.

Sunday, Jan 12 - 2 hours: Cutting notches in rear bumper so we could re-mount trailer hitch, re-attaching a few bits that were left over, clean-up workshop. Also did more rust-spraying and level my front end out a bit (right side was a bit lower then the left).

TOTAL time invested: 19 hours!

If anyone is interested I have made up a set-by-step list for the lift, I could post it here or as a pdf.
spaceace
Make/Model: Xterra XE
Tim's: Coffee w/milk

Post by spaceace »

A DIY list would be great!

I'm contemplating this too. Where did you get the pucks?

A local Princess Auto sells 12" x 2.5" boat rollers that I might cut to size

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Boat ... /8095093.p

Thanks