Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

Live from south lake.

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Morpheus
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Live from south lake.

Post by Morpheus »

So, I'm sitting at south lake this weekend, and thought I'd update everyone on all the updates that the park has had since last adventure weekend.

The bathrooms are exactly the same. In fact, the showers are not operational at all, again. This is due to a burst pipe they hopefully are fixing today.

The electrical in the main park has been updated to 30 amp service. This is due to the park now charging all its residents park fee plus hydro now. Each trailer has its own meter. This doesn't apply if you're renting a spot

The electrical in the bowl is still 15 amp service, but I asked, it's supposed to also be upgraded to 30 amp by the end of the summer.

That means that you'll need a 30 to 15 amp adaptor if you have a standard plug.

I can get LTE on Rogers if I'm sitting at the beach.

The bowl is covered in grass, it was seeded this year to accommodate the horseshoe throwers that have some event there aug 1st weekend.

That's all from south lake!

(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: Live from south lake.

Post by Jayman »

It's really a shame that they haven't done anything about the bathrooms.

Problem of course, is that most of the trailers have their own bathrooms, so they don't need to use the communal ones.

Ah well, it's one weekend a year, what can you do.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Not that it makes a big difference, but apparently new by-law, no daytime camp fires allowed, just nighttime ones..

Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Morpheus wrote:Not that it makes a big difference, but apparently new by-law, no daytime camp fires allowed, just nighttime ones..
Interesting... Wonder what the reasoning on that one is...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

The bowl was seeded? Interesting. It looks like the beach was seeded :D

What's this 30 to 15 amp adapter plug?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

I walked the bowl today. I didn't see any new grass yet.

I bought the adaptor at can tire. It's in the rv section, about $8.

It's still 110v but a different style plug.

Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Be careful with adapting a 30 amp plug down to a 15 amp style plug. The 'power' (voltage) is fine, however if there is a 'problem' (short) you will likely damage the device, wire, and / or person long before the 30 amp breaker trips.

Definitely good news for the 'trailer folks', we won't be as worried about overloading the park circuits. Really this means I can microwave my popcorn with the AC running while making toast.

Side note - my wife tripped our trailers 30 amp main breaker last week: AC on, electric water heater on, microwave on, electric skillet on, electric kettle on...and maybe a toaster....I guess you don't know the breaker works until someone tests it...
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

Pardon my RV ignorance, but why not pop a circuit protected 15A power bar in between the RV/Camper and that adapter? BAM, No worries about the breaker? I apologize if this sounds daft, as I am near enough to being a zombie as to make no difference. Too much work and not enough time off in between make Buttsy blah blah... BRRRRAAAAAAAAAIIIIINNNNNSSSS

This post has been written entirely in recycled electrons by a bonehead on a Galaxy S4. Also from inside an igloo. Why not, I'm from the "North" right?
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Miner

Post by Miner »

Maybe, depends on the Surge Protector...

- Power Strip - NO - Just creates additional outlets

- Surge Protector - No - Depends on product but likely a Metal Oxide Verister (MOV) limits incoming voltage spikes

- Surge Protector with Fuse - Yes...one time use - Ensure the Fuse is rated at 15 amps or less

- Surge Protector with Resettable Breaker - Yes - Ensure the breaker is rated at 15 amps or less

NOTE - This is my understanding, but it is not my area of expertise. Always follow electrical code(s) and safe practices.

buttsy

Post by buttsy »

Circuit protected meaning had a breaker and or fuse. Surge protected means just that.

This post has been written entirely in recycled electrons by a bonehead on a Galaxy S4. Also from inside an igloo. Why not, I'm from the "North" right?
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Most RV's have a breaker box in them (or fuses)
I think my 30 year old hi lo even has a breaker box in it.

I don't think you'll overload a 30 amp circuit if your trailer is wired for 15 amp, unless like Miner said, you run a commercial kitchen in your RV

buttsy

Post by buttsy »

But you can overload the wiring in your RV if it's rated for 15amp and you pump 30amp through it

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

buttsy wrote:But you can overload the wiring in your RV if it's rated for 15amp and you pump 30amp through it
Not if your RV has a 15 amp breaker in it. The circuit will pop at the lowest rated breaker. If you pull 16 amps on your trailer the park circuit can handle it, but the trailer breaker will pop.

Alternatively if your trailer is wired with a 15 amp circuit, and has NO breakers in it, the park circuit will allow you to pull, as you mentioned up to 30 amps, which could cause melted wiring, possibly a fire.

buttsy

Post by buttsy »

Isn't that what we were talking about to begin with? I'm so confused... If the RV already had 15 amp breakers in it it wouldn't be an issue, no? Did I misread something somewhere along the line?

Miner

Post by Miner »

I think we all have it right, but are thinking about it differently. Assuming a 30 amp fused (breaker) feed from the park:

a) A 30 amp RV has a 30 amp main breaker and multiple fused (breakers for AC, fuses for DC) circuits. If the electrical load on any one circuit exceeds that circuits fuse rating (ie 15 amps) that circuit will trip in the RV's panel. If the combined load on the circuits exceeds 30 amps the RV's main breaker will trip, it will trip before the parks as it is closer to the load and the reaction time of a breaker increased rapidly with distance from the load. If there is a fault / overload in the cable to the trailer, the receptacle, or the parks circuit the parks 30 amp circuit will trip.

b) A 15 amp RV (or circuit protected outlet) has a 15 amp main breaker. Any overload within the trailer is protected as above. A fault in the adapter or power cable leading to the trailer, which are rated for 15 amps, is not protected and may draw up to 30 amps (or more) before the parks 30 amp breaker trips.

c) Adapting to 15 amp plug. A fault in the adapter, power cable, or the load, which are rated for 15 amps, is not protected and may draw up to 30 amps (or more) before the parks 30 amp breaker trips. This could damage the user, the load (ie iPhone), the cable, and/or the adapter.

I think that's as clear as I can conceive it.

Note - it would also be possible to overload the parks 30 amp circuit by attaching multiple loads to it, say an adapter and three 15 amp RVs. The parks circuit would be protected, however the adapter could get "toasty".

Regardless the situation is better than before, we were constantly overloading the 15 amp services.

For AW, I suggest as many 30 amp trailers as possible plug into the 30 amp services. These trailers can provide safe 15 amp fused power for sensitive/valuable electronics, for anyone who needs it. 15 amp trailers can choose to adapt down 30 amp connections, the only risk is to the adapter and cord if there is a short as the load from the trailer itself cannot exceed the trailers 15 amp breaker. I would not adapt a 30 amp down for general use, unless someone can provide a circuit protected outlet by another means (fused surge protector bar, pony panel...).

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

:thumbup: What he said!

Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Basically the only risk point is between the 15A trailer breaker and the 30A receptacle.

The load my trailer draws with everything on is maybe 5A unless I add a toaster or space heater. So unless it is really cold out I can serve a few amp from my trailer to tenters for some lights etc.

Sent from my shoe phone.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner