Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

NEW TIRE: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
X-Treme
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

NEW TIRE: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2

Post by X-Treme »

BF Goodrich just released an updated All-Terrain T/A with the "KO2" designation, meaning it is the second version in the KO series.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-sele ... re-details

This new tire now includes the all important, at least in Canada, Winter Tire designation across all sizes. Not all previous All-Terrain T/A KOs carried this designation.

If your in the market for a good all-terrain, and now "all-weather," tire you might want to consider these.

Some info/reviews:

From wheels.ca

Here is a review from Car and Driver. Not winter related but it does tell you a little about the tire in general.

Pics

Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: NEW TIRE: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2

Post by Miner »

The previous generation did meet the rubber association severe snow designation requirements, with the exception of the tires release for the Power Wagon 285/70R17 and H2 315/70R17 and a few others.

I've been following this tires release, there are additional sizes listed on the US website so hopefully the CA site will be updated.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Thanks Josh, I just checked mine and they do, in fact, carry the "severe snow" designation. I’ve updated the original post.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

I corresponded a bit with an automotive journalist about tires and winter designations (and about the KO1 :P ) a number of years ago.

From what he seemed unwilling to be clear about, it sounds like the KO1 might have been grandfathered onto the list, or that something else is/was going on.

There are so many attributes and variables to consider when deciding whether or not to designate a tire "winter", that one could very easily obfuscate sufficiently that even an inquiring mind would walk away from the discussion, but I don't think that it would be anywhere near impossible to give a clear, fairly complete explanation about the testing thresholds / performance improvements required of these specialized tires. After all, someone did make the decision, many, many times. (good enough for Mountain-Snowflake vs not good enough; how much is "enough" and compared to what?)

Post the link if you have found such an explanation.

Obviously a set of KO2s will be cheaper than the combination of a set of MTs for one season and a set of winter tires for the other season, but, quantitatively, what are the compromises being made?

Having said all that, I should state that I am happily riding on winter tires this year because my Toyo Open Country MTs were just too worn down to risk it and I found some tires/rims I could afford. I'm looking forward to noticing great things by having no dramas; it might be tough to prove anything that way though :?
Last edited by Xtrapol8 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

I'm under no illusion that these tires are anywhere near as good at handling winter driving conditions as a dedicated winter tire but for those people who live in a jurisdiction that mandates a winter tire be used in winter, like Québec, these are an option for them. Also, for those of us who are cheap bastards, having a year-round tire that passes that winter driving requirement, even if only just, is good on the pocket book.

One of the characteristics that make a dedicated winter tire a good winter tire is the softer rubber compound that, if driven on during warmer weather, would cause the tire to wear rapidly. Since these tires are designed for year-around use I doubt very much that the rubber is as soft as a dedicated winter tire.

Regardless, there must be other characteristics of these tires, likely tread design and some minor siping, that allowed the tire to pass whatever test(s) that are used to determine what qualifies for the winter tire designation.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

That's the kind of stuff I'm wondering about too. I wish they'd just openly share the information. Them not sharing makes me wonder what they're hiding.

I got by on my MTs the past few winters, but last winter in particular I decided it wouldn't be safe enough (whatever enough means) for me to keep going like that. To give credit where credit is due, they were pretty good when the voids were deep.
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Well, this is what I could find regarding the Winter Tire designation.

Transport Canada

Automobile Protection Association (APA)

Tire and Rubber Association of Canada

Some random website
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Yep! ...the same kind of stuff I found when I looked.

It's a shame that "% improvement over similar all-season tires" or something like that isn't mentioned. We can see differences in the videos, but what is the cut-off? How much better do you have to be, minimum, to qualify for the mountain-snowflake?

I'd like to see them take an assortment of tires that cost about the same amount, regardless of season designation, and put them through the same set of tests that would simulate the situations encountered in a full year of driving in 4-season weather, maybe including off-road stuff, and publish the results. Obviously the all-seasons would lose in the winter and the winters would lose, at least, in tread life and mud-clearing, but what else would we be able to see if the results were to be placed before us? Would the mountain-snowflake tires be 30% better, on average in all of the winter tests? Would you get another 5% improvement, on average for every $20 spent?

I think there's a lot missing from the public domain.

FWIW - I think the KOs are a good choice for Toronto. I've just had a boner for the Toyos ever since I bought the truck. And after 120 000 km, I will likely buy them again, especially now that I don't have to run MTs in the winter for the next few years. MTs in winter ... bad. (I grew up driving in Ottawa, but that doesn't determine the situations that other drivers might put me into. :fist: )
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

The old KO's sucked in the winter. I had a set on my old pathy and you needed 4wd just to get moving when the roads were greasy.

Maybe I will pickup a set of these to try...

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Miner

Post by Miner »

The KO1 was a great snow tire for the first half of its tread life, or the depth of the shallow sipping. It was not a good ice tire, as indicated above due to the hard compound. If your in an area where winter means snow, not ice and slush, as set of KO1s or studded MTs was your best choice when there were no large diameter LT winter tires available.

Even now with more LT snow tires available in larger sizes its near impossible to find a dedicated winter LT with a diameter over 32". Last I looked the only "severe snow" LT tires available over 33" was the: Hercules Tera Trac II, General Grabber AT2, BFG AT KO1 & KO2, and the Goodyear Duratrac. This is why I have a set of KO1s and Duratracs for the Titan, our sons F-150 has the Hercs, and all our other vehicles have dedicated winter rims and tires.

Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

adamzan wrote:The old KO's sucked in the winter. I had a set on my old pathy and you needed 4wd just to get moving when the roads were greasy.

Open dif? Mine have been awesome.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Miner wrote:The KO1 was a great snow tire for the first half of its tread life, or the depth of the shallow sipping.
My shallow sipes/siping/whatever are/is gone now. It was only one cut per tread block, but it must have been an important factor in maintaining traction in slippery conditions. It's good to see that the KO2s have plenty of them.

Before I bought Rev's old winter tires and rims, I e-contacted a place about siping my MTs (lots of cuts to make fake winter tires - figured I run them to death in the following season, then replace them.) but they didn't get back to me and I ended up not having to pursue it. Are many places equipped to do this? Would it make a worthwhile difference at that point in the tire's life? Post up if you know.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Bow_Tied wrote:
adamzan wrote:The old KO's sucked in the winter. I had a set on my old pathy and you needed 4wd just to get moving when the roads were greasy.

Open dif? Mine have been awesome.
At the time, yes.

Just noticed no 15" rim sizes...Maybe they will release them in the future?

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Miner

Post by Miner »

I wouldn't hold my breath on 15's. I can't think of any current production truck or body on frame SUV equipped with a 15" wheel, or even a 16". As such I do not foresee development of new 'road tires' in 15" applications.

Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Interesting. I figured there'd be sufficient aftermarket for 15s. I agree new vehicles aren't using them but lots still on the road. In another 5-10 there will be few 15s on the road.

Sent from my shoe phone.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Miner wrote:Even now with more LT snow tires available in larger sizes its near impossible to find a dedicated winter LT with a diameter over 32".
Indeed, I looked around to see about going taller over my old 31 Yokos, and I was able to so slightly taller because I used my 17's rims and they had 265/70, which equals about 31.6", so they're almost a 32. I think they had 32" Geolandar I/T's, but I dont see them available, it is a 7yr old tire and probably dont make that size anymore
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

been running these tires for a while now (33x10.5R15). the best there is out there imho. you'll never need two sets of tires with these on. they keep up fine with the built rigs on MTs on the average run. great in the snow too (helps that my rig is AWD). i'd grab these again when my current ones wear out, which will be a while... especially with 5 tire rotations. :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your request. Unfortunately, there are no plans to produce the AT KO2 in a 15 inch rim at this time.  Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.

Adam, please let us know if you have additional questions as we'll be glad to assist.

Thank you for contacting BFGoodrich.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Millie
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

What a beautiful note.

Sent from my iThingy.
Miner

Post by Miner »

adamzan wrote:
We appreciate your request. Unfortunately, there are no plans to produce the AT KO2 in a 15 inch rim at this time.  Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate Marketing Group for future consideration.
I didn't want to be right, but I'm too smug too not be a little happy about being right.