Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

Roof top tent

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
ECosta
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large DD

Roof top tent

Post by ECosta »

Hey guys, im buying a rooftop tent this month, excited to do some winter camping.

Im thinking of getting a ARB one, model Pilbara. but was also looking at the Tepui tents. the Ayer for example. i dont need a big tent, just a reliable one :)

Anyone here has a RTT? any suggestions?
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Re: Roof top tent

Post by CruiserRomey »

hey ECosta, guess i can chime in as i've had one for over 3 years now. picked on up from BC after doing a bunch of research.

here's my post on another forum with a lot pics..

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/canada- ... ut.651661/

not quite sure what's happened to the seller but he did say he was getting more. he sold a couple dozen i'd say across canada. for what i got for then, i think it was still the best bang for your buck (with annex room, awning/awning room).

anyway, i see what you mean about getting one that works and is simple. those two are good economical choices. my only comment would be that having the annex room will be a bonus in the long run especially for winer camping. you can close that area in and have another area to hang out in (or change/ shower/use a portable toilet, or simply have another place to sleep in with say a cot). my plan this year is to use a small electric heater that'll be placed in the annex for some added warmth there and up top once everything is closed (the annex rooms have floors in them too). but, i'm sure you'll be fine with ayer or pilbara. tepui actually has another cover that can go over the entire thing to help with severe weather conditions. speaking of which, expect condensation with any RTT. just gotta make sure you air it out (i usually wipe with a towel first, speeds it up a bit). in my last post, i also added some insulation under the sleep mat. will see how that goes..

if you can, see about getting one with the telescoping ladder (especially if your rig is tall). those two piece sliding ladder ones (older style) might need extensions.

anyway, i know tepui has some good sales on ih8mud. check here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tepui-r ... ar.812708/

i'm sure either tent you've chosen will get the job done (they're all made in china anyway, so just get the best price). also check for the kind of material they use as there's a range (from 200g to 350 g nylon).

another cool vid i just found on RTTs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhi1nkWYWiU

anyway, mine hasn't come off since i bought it. kinda used to it now and almost camping year round with the kid(s). consider it's effect on mileage and getting through underground parking etc as well..

if you have any questions, just ask. also, some guys over at sontt have talked about doing some winter camping, you're more than welcome to join.

cheers.
Morpheus
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

We've got a couple members here with them.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-achat-et-vente-d ... nFlag=true

just saw this. there's a pilbara one on an xterra in the pics (see how the ladder is just about enough? not sure if it's lifted). fair price i think. maybe you've seen it already.

guess the ayer has the telescoping ladder

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-achat-et-vente-d ... nFlag=true
ECosta
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by ECosta »

CruiserRomey iv seen your entire thread last week :)

really good! thank you for information and advices. im gonna skip on the annex for now cause my budget is not much but its something im gonna get in the future.

Iv been trading emails with the guy from that add on kijiji. its a really good deal and i think im going to get that. ARB and good price, guess i cant really go wrong there, although i think the Tepui seems simpler and faster to install.

Tell me a little bit about that heatr you are talking about, im planning on some nice winter roadtrips and camping, i want to head up north but i dont know if a blanquet or 2 is enough inside the tent. is there any kind of heaters safe enough to put inside the tent?

thank you again ;)
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

sounds good. funny, in that youtube vid the guy says that the telescopic ladders aren't good. interesting. well, it is an ad for gordigear though. (haven't had any issues with sand getting on my ladders, so far so good).

those two tents are pretty much identical. not sure what you mean about set up (ladders would come down the same way).

haven't tried the heater yet but i picked it up from canadian tire.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/home/heat ... nt=Default

this is only getting used when we car camp at a provincial park with electric hook ups. plan is to set up the annex/room and have this on the floor on a low setting. looks sturdy enough, has a wide base and on sale for 30 bucks. although maybe the ceramic heaters are better. you definitely shouldn't use combustible heat for obvious reasons. i would'nt suggest using heat inside the tent with you where you could kick it or tip it over (which is why i'm only using it in the annex on the floor and with some vents open for circulation). anyone else can chime in on these heaters, haven't used them before. i have used an UCO candle hanging up top in the past and its been okay. gives off only some heat.

your best bet is to get a good -20 bag or double up. i think we were 10 to 15 below and did fine with two -9 bags and two 0 degree bags. think i had a fleece blanket too as extra.

if you know you're getting a lot of snow, i suggest you drape a tarp (just a tad bigger) over the RTT. this way you can slide it off with the snow and pack things up and dry it up easier. the snow freezes, clumps and sticks all over and can be a pain.

anyway, post up pics on the new RTT when you get it!
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've had mine for almost as long as the truck, so about 6 years now, and I love it. I got my from Titan Winches, but since I bought it, they almost doubled in price...he doesn't have any tents nor winches on his website anymore...That Kijiji ad your interested in makes sense price wise.

I'm in the same boat, since I've gotten mine, I've always wanted to do some winter camping ;) But something much, MUCH more comfortable than what I experience in the army....

I do kinda of wish I had the annex room, they didn't exist at the time, not through TW, but I've improvised with tarps and camper awning hangers.

My X doesn't seem to care about mileage, I've gotten the same max-range out of a tank with the truck on street tires, when with the 32's, RTT on the roof, and the truck loaded to the brim with camping gear and wood. If it's windy though I'll notice it in mileage.

The mattress is nice, but for the girlfriends back I want to try to upgrade to a nice memory foam next year, but most find it more comfortable then they though, especially girls always seem to have back issues, and even if they're not campers, they don't mind the RTT at all, just have a hard time getting in.

For warmth, with 2 people and a few blankets it's nice and toasty, especially being off the ground helps. I've wanted to do some kind of heat for years, but i don't feel comfortable with anything inside the tent. There was an external propane heater called the "Hot Vent", but I don't think it's available anymore cause there was issues with when the fan wasn't running (12v, so say you drained the battery) the unit would catch fire. That I'm looking at doing now, an idea i got from Expedition Portal, was a guy took an old propane heater from a trailer and vents it into his tent, keeping the heater outside on his trailer. I think I may try this route.

The RTT on the truck is ok, but inconvenient if you need to move or use your truck. It's ok if your single, but with a gf, they have more needs, so now i'm working on a trailer and the RTT will go on there. She should be there with me for AW next year

Condensation does happen because of the waterproof material, so it doesn't breath like a normal tent. I just keep some flaps open, and run a 12v fan to keep air circulating and it's no longer a problem. Mines made out of 380g polymide, waterproof and wax impregnated . It's very strong and waterproof, and I love it for that, no matter the storm. Camping at Mosport last year they came around to warn all the campers, so put the side flaps down and tuckered in, ran a 12v extension to the tent and watched movies on the laptop with the gf. My friends down on the ground, their tents were caving right in. The guys we were camping with had a few of their shelters broken, and a neighbor's top cover ripped to shreds. My privacy shelter I had to drop to the ground, it wasn't fairing well either, but the RTT took it like a champ.

I saw an Xterra with a Tepui at a Tims here in Kingston a few weeks ago, but didn't take a pic, I felt too out of place that I made the detour to look at it.

With the telescoping ladder, I'm borderline needing the extension with the new lift, depending on the terrain. You can see I put a piece of wood under the ladder in the pic below, it's all I needed to have the ladder touch, but that was mostly because I was on a hill and it went down where the ladder was.

I did get new cover made for it by a local place that specialized in tarps and canvas, cost me about $220. The original one got brittle and tore easily after the years of use. I tried to order one through TW, and I had to let him know in fall months in advance, and he wouldn't wait a few weeks for me to pick it up and threatened to sell it t someone else who needed one. With that attitide, I let him do that, and I just got one made, which cost just a bit more, but I also got it in black rather than brown, so it looks better, and I think much stronger too.

But I love my RTT, probably my favorite way to camp.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

nice. i'm gonna guess that's titan's knock off from arb which knocked off gordigears, lol. if i remember correctly, arb got word that their factory was also making titans tents so they moved to another manufacturer. anyway, looks a lot like the pilbara and the ayer. nice to see it's still holding up well. i was thinking too of getting another cover sewn up for the top for added protection.

i like the idea of the external propane heater with a tube into the tent. guess it would have to be at the lowest setting as it's only a tiny space, it'll be toasty warm for sure! also gotta think about having to get out to turn it on or off (figured one wouldn't run the tank straight ? ).

but hey, speaking of annexes, looks like there's one that might fit all these tents from gordigear!

http://www.gordigear.com/roof_tents/std_skirt.php?l=en

are there zippers underneath your base nd4spdse?
ECosta
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by ECosta »

nice pictures Nd4SpdSe ;)

that propane heater ideia might work. im waiting for an awswer since i dont want to drive to Montreal to pick the tent.

but ill keep this updated

Romey when i said install i meant set up the tent :) sorry bad english. somehow the Tepui looks simpler and faster to setup
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

aah. gotcha. maybe they're different in how they were packaged/preassembled? should be easy though.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

CruiserRomey wrote:nice. i'm gonna guess that's titan's knock off from arb which knocked off gordigears, lol. if i remember correctly, arb got word that their factory was also making titans tents so they moved to another manufacturer.
CruiserRomey wrote:nice to see it's still holding up well.
The tent itself is still like new. No complaints at all.
CruiserRomey wrote: i like the idea of the external propane heater with a tube into the tent. guess it would have to be at the lowest setting as it's only a tiny space, it'll be toasty warm for sure! also gotta think about having to get out to turn it on or off (figured one wouldn't run the tank straight ? ).
It's for a camper, so it's 12v and uses a thermostat, so he apparently just runs the thermostat into the tent.
CruiserRomey wrote:are there zippers underneath your base nd4spdse?
No zippers
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've been trying to find a picture of the guy with the trailer tent heaters, but no go, ut in my searches, I've been coming across other stuff for external heating.

There's the Propex Propane Heater HS2211, which runs around $800 and uses propane. A few FJ guys use them it seems and very popular with people with travel vans.

You can get a Wastabo gasoline fuel heater. I'm tempted to go this route, but you're looking at a $1200 price tag.

Both pump out 2kw / 6900btw of heat.

The old propane camper heater may be the highest output and cheapest price, but maybe not the most efficient for old cheap ones, but they'd do the job. Probably enough heat for the tent and annex/cooking area too. Even new or almost new they're cheaper than the Propex
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yeah, those webastos are nice. some of the guys I know with diesel trucks use them. how nice would it be to pipe that hot air form the truck up and into the tent!

but yeah, I'm not sweating, survived 15 below with my son with just our bags so at the end of the day it's just the added comfort. I could never justify that kind of money for the little extra warmth. worse case, you can always run the truck and hop in for a heater break. I would just take advantage of the electrical plugs ins one would get in some of the parks that are open year round. without the kids, I'd be fine with a tarp, a cot, and triple layers. :)

speaking of winter camping, looks like we're just about ready huh?! finally, some snow to play in!
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thanks to the military, I've slept in tents in -30, but with the girlfriend, and when doing some real (see NOT army) camping, I want it to be pleasant and comfortable. I don't need any flashbacks and pretend I'm at work...

I haven't decided exactly how I'm doing heat, but I want heat of some kind that's not electric.

OMG yes, I burnt a quarter tank yesterday driving and drifting around!
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Roof top tent

Post by Scotto »

This would be a good time for Skinnypedal to chime in. He had a little tent heater at the last few Fall Colours runs that was fantastic.

Sent from my iThingy.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

I'd love to have one of those military issue heavy duty medic sleep bags!

guess the best thing would be a small efficient propane heater thats external to the tent. or i wonder if a small hanging metal box with a couple candles inside would radiate adequate heat. it would have to be safe first off course.

or something like this (there's a bunch of youtube but this one's good for hanging).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11dqKJrulk

i'd swap out the ikea candles with cut down Uco candles as they are odourless.
Yorkdiver
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan xTerra Pro4x
Year: 2011
Tim's: Large One Milk

Post by Yorkdiver »

What heavy duty medic sleeping bag are you talking about? The casualty bag with the fur trim? An artic candle in that ceramic pot would be great for heat. Take a while to heat up tho. When out in the field, I make sure to grab my air mattress, sleeping bag liner and some hot pads for my sleeping bag.

Works great. They are cheap. No issue with unattended open flames

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yep, that casualty bag with all the zippers so you can treat the soldier through it. maybe I saw that thread here. cheapest I ever saw one was for 300 bucks used!

I guess so long as the ceramic pot thing works, anyone should be able to wait for the warmth. mind you, it's a small area in those RTT's and these pots are changing temps for much much larger rooms with just 3 candles. just gotta make sure you don't bonk your head getting up. worth the shot anyway, just gotta make sure it's extra safe.
Yorkdiver
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan xTerra Pro4x
Year: 2011
Tim's: Large One Milk

Post by Yorkdiver »

Sounds about right for those bags, I think I saw on the last DA verification that they are in excess of 4 digits. The downside is all the openings in them, which COULD be a plus as you can piss without getting out of your bag....
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Did you end up getting one?