Loose Steering and Noise

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Loose Steering and Noise

Post by Adam »

Shortly after installing my grassroots CL, I've noticed this stiff spot in my steering that feels like it's catching something and then letting go. At idle if you rock the wheel back and forth you can feel it and hear this sort of clanking sound. I looked and saw a little play at the joint where it is bolted to the pitman arm. I am going to check and see if the bolt came loose but I doubt it since the cotter pin is still there. Has anyone else had this issue? The CL is not even 3 months old and has only AW (3 trails) and the fall colours run on it for "wheeling".

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Simon
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Loose Steering and Noise

Post by Simon »

Drop a 5/8" bolt into the pitman arm alone, and see if there's play. It should be relatively snug. I would be inclined to think the hole in the pitman arm is elongated.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Could weld a washer on both sides of the elongated hole for even less play.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Finally have some spare time tonight, so I will tear into it and find out. I hope it's not elongated, I couldn't get the pitman arm off in the first place to drill it!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Adam wrote:Finally have some spare time tonight, so I will tear into it and find out. I hope it's not elongated, I couldn't get the pitman arm off in the first place to drill it!
They can be a b1tch to remove, that's for sure. I have a puller if you end up needing one.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

With my setup, one of the bolts has to be installed upside down, otherwise it makes contact somewhere when steering.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Unusual for it to get loose on the PA side - it's usually the idler arm side that has issues trying to stay vertical.

The first thing I would do is lift the front end and see how much movement you get when pulling/pushing on the tire. Is the CL trying to move up and down at the PA and IA? If it is, then we have some bushing issues. Are you using a Calmini IA brace? If so, the brace is not square to the idler arm and will wear out the bushings. This would also be a good time to see if those bolts are hanging low and grabbing a piece of the frame as it moves back and forth. There are some tight areas, and it's possible it's nicking on something.

Next, I would have a good look at how the 5/8" bolts are sitting in the CL. Remove the CL, and use the bolt as a guide for finding movement. It should be snug, with no lateral movement.

When putting it all back together, be sure any washers that you use seat over the edge of the bushings, not on top, compressing them. The bushings in my CL are roller-type, and peak out the top of the CL. If I place a washer with too small an opening on it, the bushings crush and stop acting as bushings.

Good luck. I'm now on a steering system that is fully customized - nothing (except the PA) is stock, or even buy-able off a shelf and bolt-on.

Scott
Adam

Post by Adam »

Using a 4x4parts brace. Checked and the Idler arm is loose again. I just rebuilt it with new bushings, Nissan ones, not the metal ones. I actually have a spare new aftermarket idler I will throw on for now. There is a ton of play in the tires, kind of scary to drive. The bolt on the pitman arm was loose, I could turn it with a wrench with a bit of force. I was sure I torqued it to 95 ft-lbs as per the directions.

The washers I used were the ones that came with the kit, one under the bolt head, the other under the nut. The clanking noise is the CL trying to rotate, or so it seems. The bolt hole was not elongated in the pitman arm, I bought a new 5/8" fine thread bolt to check. I don't like the coarse thread ones, it was really hard to align the cotter pin hole and have it tightened properly. My fear with this CL is the stories I've heard of terrible steering return to center causing by over tightening.

Good thing it is not my DD anymore...I should be able to rebuild it this week. May have to start customizing like you did, Scott.

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

If all else fails, SAS.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

exactly...I have no complaints with my 1 ton TRE / DOM steering setup...rock solid.

Want to get rid of your steering issues, go SAS.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Only issues with SAS is I need a place to do it, and I would likely not get it done in time for next years wheeling season. Plus the way I'd want to do it is use rugged rocks h233b front housing.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-p ... fvq8m14v51

rcafcoburn
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4X
Year: 2015
Tim's: Coffee w/a shot of milk

Post by rcafcoburn »

I could get access to a hoist in Borden most likely. We have a car club that you can join (as military) but I haven't looked into it. If you go SAS route, let me know!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Still too far for me haha. But thanks. I'm hoping I can have the new idler in today or tomorrow. I just have to drill it out on the drill press. Also noticed lower ball joint is loose on one side. Sigh...can't wait to get the xterra through emissions.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk