Oil Dipstick

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
dududuckling
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Oil Dipstick

Post by dududuckling »

Hi all,

This is a copy of what I posted on NPORA.

I had a local shop replaced the oil pan back in June and this is on a 3.3L V6 - 2000 Pathfinder. I found out that the oil dipstick is stuck because they did not remove it prior to installing the new oil pan. The dipstick sticks 3" out of the guide and its stuck for good. The motor runs strong and has clocked in 5000 mi. since then. As I could not check the oil level, I added 0.5 Qt. at 2500 mi. Today, when I braked and made a left turn, the low engine oil pressure light came on for a brief second and went off. So I added another 0.5 Qt. I am going to get an oil change next week.

When the pathfinder had a functional dipstick, the oil level was always at full and I don't think the truck is burning oil. Maybe it just evaporates?

Is it possible to remove the dipstick guide, trim the stuck dipstick, put the guide back into the engine and the new dipstick into the guide? I do not plan to keep the truck much longer and would prefer to avoid having to reinstall the oil pan.

Thanks in advanced.
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: Oil Dipstick

Post by Morpheus »

Oil does not evaporate. If you're not leaking or burning it, chances are it wasn't filled properly, especially if the dipstick isn't proper.
It sounds like they sandwiched the dipstick in the edge of the pan. Take it back, poor workmanship should be covered under warranty.

Best way to make sure it's full, is pull the plug and measure it. Don't bother with the filter.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

I'll be doing oil change this week... normally I just add 3-7/8 qt as per manual and replace it every 5000 km. Its been six months since the job, not sure if there's still warranty. I'll see what I can do.

The shop also told me that if the tip ever broke off, there's a big filter to prevent it from being sucked into the engine and caused it to seize. Is it true?
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

There should be a screen on the bottom of the oil pick up. This would catch big objects like the tip of the tube.

Sounds like they knew there was a problem to begin with and they should have fixed it then and there.

If the seal is a rubber type seal (versus cork or fiber) and the bolts are accessible you could try to loosen them enough to free the dipstick. If you take it back this is probably what they will try.

With cork or fiber gaskets they can tear (may or may not) when you try to remove the pan which may cause leaking.

If the dipstick is stuck you would not be able to remove the guide by itself. Maybe if you cut both then pull out the remaining tube and cut down the stuck dipstick you might be able to put in a new tube and stick. Seems like a lot of work for something that might work. Best to see if they can free the stick by loosening the bolts.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

They used Permatex gasket makers to seal the pan. If they loosen the pan, chances are they'll have to scrape it clean and put new gasket altogether. I'm gonna try to ask for warranty job since its been six months. If not, I'll change the oil and add 3-7/8 qt., then regular oil change every 5000 km as planned. I plan on keeping the car for one more year and don't do a lot of driving.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Warranty, that's an improper installation. They kinda can't argue that it's not their fault..
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged