Nissans in the snow!

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4x
Year: 2015
Tim's: Tea

Nissans in the snow!

Post by PhullD »

We just had a decent sized storm here in Ottawa. I am pretty sure we got around a foot of snow but with the wind many of the side streets are covered with drifts exceeding that. And, while the city seemed more or less shutdown the whole thing was like a giant playground for me!! :dance:

I didn't even have to go to 4 low. I was pulling right up to people digging and rocking their cars and asking if they wanted help. If yes I pulled them out, if not I just kept driving like nothing. This one guy basically gave me a deer in the headlights look as I drove away which made me smile ear to ear.

I spent 3 years in northern BC driving pickup trucks (with winter tires and studs) on FSR's and the X felt way better. I am not entirely sure but the shorter wheelbase may be a factor and maybe the tread pattern on the Hankook Dynapros. Anyway I spent the last two hours driving around my neighborhood helping people get unstuck and was much impressed. :angel:
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Re: Nissans in the snow!

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

While in Petawawa, there was a point that a HUGE storm came in overnight. It was a Sunday, but unfortunately were we were working and up early to start off an exercise. Nothing at all was plowed, and even through we were just privates living in shacks, it was still a HUGE mess on base. Anyway, we were all suppose to meet at the unit. When I got there, several cars were there. A car or two and t a truck made it through, but several were stuck blocking the way for the others. I put her on 4x4 and drove around, through the snow banks on the side, and a tight maneuver squeezing by a car with one a few inches while being up on a snow bank on the opposite side. She did well and I got many props that day.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhullD »

Nice! What gets me is how many people refused help. I doubled back one block over and could still see a car in the middle of the intersection I had offered help 15min earlier.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

PhullD wrote:Nice! What gets me is how many people refused help. I doubled back one block over and could still see a car in the middle of the intersection I had offered help 15min earlier.
Indeed. I have offered to pull people out of snowbanks and they say, "No, just push me". Uh, yeah, not so much. Not blowing my back out or anything else due to your summer tires and lack of driving skills. Take my help as offered or not at all. I suddenly "have a bad back" at that point. A neighbour got stuck in her lane (don't ask) and refused my help as someone had told her that the tow hook visible in the rear centre of the car under the trunk was "attached to the gas tank" and she was afraid it would rip the tank out. :facepalm:
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

Lol bet the gas tank is under the back seat... Not the rear of the car, what was it a pinto or something? ;)
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Must have been a Honda, they all have tow hooks there.

Last winter I was making a left turn that started up an incline and the car in front of me got stuck. Was a RWD bmw that did have snow tires on. Just crappy weather. My friends hopped out of my truck and pushed him thru the intersection lol.

I have also pushed people's cars with the truck, these were people who clearly didn't give a poop about their cars. They just wanted to get going.

I have never had anyone refuse my help though. And always keep your strap in the truck in the winter! I got some smaller shackles for hooking up to the weird tow hooks some cars have, or I will just loop it through the hook and tie both ends to my vehicle. I think that's the right way?

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Drizit wrote:Lol bet the gas tank is under the back seat... Not the rear of the car, what was it a pinto or something? ;)
I forgot, some little sedan like a cobalt or something.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhullD »

Good point Adam about being ready. Now if only Canada Post would deliver my hatch pouch so I can keep my recovery handy. Was accepted through CBSA on the 22nd and has just sat in Montreal this whole time!!
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

PhullD wrote:Good point Adam about being ready. Now if only Canada Post would deliver my hatch pouch so I can keep my recovery handy. Was accepted through CBSA on the 22nd and has just sat in Montreal this whole time!!
It's learning French.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676