P1320

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

P1320

Post by Scotto »

Question for all you:

Truck is throwing an intermittent P1320 code, which I gather is the primary ignition coil. Occasionally, the truck has a hard time starting, and once in a blue moon it will balk when driving. Just for a split second, and then all is fine again. No misfire codes.

On a 2000 Xterra, I understand the primary ignition coil is in the distributor, right? We don't have ignition coils like the Maxima does (screwed into the block)? I ask because there seems to be quite a bit of mis-information on the interweb... Many people say "Replace the coils." But - AFAIK - the Xterra coil is buried in the dizzy...

I already changed wires, cap and rotor so it's not something between the distributor and the plugs. And other than that 1320 PITA, the truck is running magnificently.

Any help much appreciated.

Scott
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: P1320

Post by Simon »

I had that issue (slight misfire) on 2 separate occasions on my X. One was when the distributor was dying. The other was when one of the plug wires wasn't seated correctly on the plug.

Check your dizzy for redish dust under the cap. If you see it, it's likely that the bearing is shot, and the distributor is near failure.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

Might sound like a dumb question, but have you checked your grounds lately? The ignition coil grounds through a transistor in the ignition control module (which I believe is in the distributor as you say). If the ground is interrupted when the system is supposed to be grounded the coil will discharge out of sequence. On that note it could also be a failure in the ICM itself. I know I don't need to tell you how much of a pain in the ass an intermittent issue is, but I'd be concentrating on the dizzy. If you have access to an oscilloscope (or a way to monitor frequency) you could always check the discharge frequency to make sure it isn't wavering

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Thanks all. With the cap replacement I didn't see any red dust. I should probably be safe and change the plugs out, just to nix that possibility (and I have new plugs kicking around.) Then, if all remains the same, I think I can say that I am about 95% sure it's the ICM in the dizzy, which is internal and thus it needs a new dizzy.

I think this dizzy is 5 or so years old now... Not too bad. Not great, but not too bad.

Scott
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'd go with coil. On first crank it's having a hard time charging up which is why your first crank it doesn't want to fire.

Funny cause your symptom of is balking when driving was what I had for a while, I mean like a good 2 years of weird intermittent issues where it would happen maybe once every few hours of highway driving, and just enough so that I could feel, but not the passengers. It would typically only happen in the winter too. I did wires, plus, cap, rotor to no avail. I replaced the disty last year and it's never come back. New disty came with all the goodies, so I kept my old one as s spare, since the cap and rotor are practically brand new.

You are right that the coil is INSIDE the disty. In my Mx-3 days, I've actually removed it, fairly buried but it wasn't too bad. to get to, but it was all rusted (the pic is somewhere in my archives). The problem on that car was typically a faulty ignitor, where we modded in an external GM ignitor since it was cheaper, more reliable, and now easier to service, but the Xterra doesn't really seem to have this issue.
We could tap or buy (I bought) a disty cap with a power tower for an external coil, and ran an MSD external coil. Could always be creative and go that way, but in the end, I'm just rambling, and recommend to replace the disty or the coil.

The coil is available it seems.

http://www.1aauto.com/ignition-coil/i/1 ... oC4Ijw_wcB

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Ignition-Dis ... 0945924622
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

You rock his sir. When this problem began I immediately thought of your issues. I figured they are likely the same.

Like your starting problem, mine tends to be more when it is wet out. Minus 20 - no issue. So it is temp variable. I have had no issues this week.

I guess I need a new dizzy.

Again thanks for the time and input. You guys are all solid and good friends.

Scott.

Sent from my iThingy.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No problem, glad we could help.

Ya, that's right. There was was HEAVY foggy day in the spring where I was wet and humid from all the rain. My truck wouldn't start. I cranked and cranked and eventually just got it to smell like fuel and a backfire here and there is the conditions where right. I had to call in to say I was going to be late, old the WO that it was because of the high humidity. Once the sun came out and the fog went away, she fired up. I think it was that event there I said enough is enough and ordered a new disty.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Thanks Adam. Ordered it!

Sent from my iThingy.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

So I haven't had a chance to replace the dizzy. But I did the wires, cap, and rotor. Today is rain and lots of damp. No issues. The truck is running better than ever. Guess I'll keep the new guy as a spare until I get issues again.

Sent from my iThingy.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

I don't think I've ever needed less parts that what I ordered to fix a problem.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Well, after all the dry cold weather, the dizzy crapped out today. Stalled on the way through town (Fergus). Managed to fire it up and get to the beer store and come home and replace the thing. All seems good now.

What I did discover is that the old dizzy wasn't rotating cleanly. Had some issues when I spun it by hand - like the bearings were going. Glad I was able to replace it so easily.

Scott
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Geoffrey wrote:Well, after all the dry cold weather, the dizzy crapped out today. Stalled on the way through town (Fergus). Managed to fire it up and get to the beer store and come and replace the thing. All seems good now.

What I did discover is that the old dizzy wasn't rotating cleanly. Had some issues when I spun it by hand - like the bearings were going. Glad I was able to replace it so easily.

Scott
The rough feeling in the distributor is what ultimately makes most of them fail, from what I've seen.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Yep. Take the cap off, and turn it upside down, and spin it. You'll likely fill your hand with bearing bits.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

There is a fix on another xterra forum, where you can replace the bearing yourself. May be good for a spare.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Adam wrote:There is a fix on another xterra forum, where you can replace the bearing yourself. May be good for a spare.
Copy and paste here?
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I dunno about that. When the spring on the bottom is distorted and the entire thing seems f'd I don't know if a bearing replacement would cut it.

But let us know.

Sent from my iThingy.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

And Adam: in your signature, "Lots" doesn't need an apostrophe - it's not "Lot is battle scars."

Just saying...
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Nor is it possessive like "Lot's battle scars" whoever Lot is...lol

Well you can't eff it up more by taking it apart. Are rebuild kit available?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

A quick Internet search suggests there is a bearing that is replaceable but I can't find any links to buy said bearing.

Another problem is that it is the coil in mine that is going - hence the code. I don't think you can buy the coil.

Sent from my iThingy.