Time for a timing belt?

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Re: Time for a timing belt?

Post by Drizit »

Lol had that happen when I was painting and used mineral spirits to prep the surface... Gloves fell apart before I was done ;) and for reference I was thinking a non well ventilated area as it seems to be getting cold out.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

LOL

I was water-proofing a tent with the brush on stuff...the vapours were bad even though I was doing this outside. I put on a mask and made a huge difference.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Waterproofing with mek? Wouldn't that devolve the tent not waterproof it?
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

MEK is used in small amounts as a solvent in waterproofing stuff, straight MEK would eat most any synthetic materials.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

The majority of the solvent in water proofing was mineral spirits (or there abouts). I was referring to the strong solvent odour of the solvent when applying the water-proofing even outdoors. I was stunned at how well the VOC mask worked.

Older tents use natural fabric (ex. cotton). So MEK should not eat the material but it would likely strip out any water protection.

I am experimenting with some old-fashion water-proofing: candle wax in mineral spirits. Just testing it out on a piece of fabric for now but it should be a lot cheaper than the seam sealer they sell in stores.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

Paraffin Wax rubbed on fabric, then melted into it with a heat gun or hair dryer works pretty good too

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

I put 4 tea light candles in about 500 mL of mineral spirits. Half dissolved and the other half is like a gel. It goes on fairly well but I digress from the topic of this thread. Apologies Hodie.

So Hodie, how's the belt replacement comping along?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Drizit »

Snafu wrote: It goes on fairly well but I digress from the topic of this thread. Apologies Hodie.

So Hodie, how's the belt replacement comping along?
Oh, that part of the thread isn't done?
Hodie
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: hot chocolate

Post by Hodie »

:) hey no worries. I'm enjoying the topic. Regarding my belt job---waiting for the parts from the excited states of America. Supposed to arrive before the end of the month. Then I'll have to wait for a half decent weekend as I'll be doing the job in my driveway. (my so called garage is too small, too low and kind of full of old motorcycles...
On the subject of waterproofing I not only ride old bikes but I sometimes wear vintage gear. I have a 60 year old jacket and pants that back in their day, were the best, (if you weren't into leather). Made of wax cotton they require routine coating to maintain their water proofing. Every second year I apply a product that goes on like paste wax and in between I have a touch up product that sprays on. The suit is amazingly good in the rain. Plus it looks cool. (my opinion; my wife hates it!)

Ken
2002 Xterra SE SC
Hodie

Post by Hodie »

Started the job after supper this evening. Rad out, top cover off and the old belt is a Nissan OEM. Not new but not worn or damaged. I've got the new parts so I'll be changing it. So far I've removed one spark plug. Rusty hex but it came out with no drama. Hope the others are the same.
Rad support is pretty ripe but that will have to wait.

Ken
2002 Xterra SE SC
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Is it an oem looking NGK? I swear no one ever changed the god damn plugs in these things!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

If you haven't, before pulling the plugs use compressed air to blast out any debris around the them. Helps keeps stuff from getting in the engine.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Hodie

Post by Hodie »

Adam wrote:Is it an oem looking NGK? I swear no one ever changed the god damn plugs in these things!
They are NGK's but look the same as the ones I'm putting in. 248000 km so I imagine they've been changed.
Snafu wrote:If you haven't, before pulling the plugs use compressed air to blast out any debris around the them. Helps keeps stuff from getting in the engine.
Good advice, thanks. I do this from habit - working on atv's and side by sides they come in covered in mud and crap. Sometimes we have to chip it away to find the plug(s).

Job is done, went well. The belt, pump, tensioner were all in good shape. Of course I replaced everything while there. And the new stuff should outlast the rest of the truck.
Now I need to replace the right exhaust manifold. The leak is getting worse and I was hoping to wait until next spring. Looks like a much worse job than the timing belt?

Ken
2002 Xterra SE SC
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

The worst part (so I hear) is getting the old studs out.

Also if you go with the stock cast manifold, having them ceramic coated inside and out suppose to help prevent them from cracking like the originals. Or go headers (eliminate the primary cats and move the O2 sensors around the secondary cats).
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Adam
Reactions score: 3
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I would go with headers, if you can tough it out for the winter. On the new (to me) engine I bought, someone had already changed the manifolds with aftermarket, and one was already cracked!

My old engine had 3 different kind of spark plugs in it. 2 originals, 2 were from the first plug change I guess, and then the PO paid someone to do it and I guess they got fuggered over because only 2 of them were done...

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa