Muck & Trucks & Washing & Rustproofing

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
X-Treme
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Muck & Trucks & Washing & Rustproofing

Post by X-Treme »

Well, as another wheeling season draws to a close I thought it might be time to start a discussion about any tricks, tools or insight you all may have about cleaning the muck out from underneath your truck and rustproofing against the harsh elements of winter.

This all came to mind as I was doing my brakes this weekend and I took the opportunity to get at all the little nooks and crannies of the truck while the wheels were off and my Canadian Tire Simonize pressure washer started to lose pressure and leak water rather than spray it. Time for a new pressure washer, Princess Auto here I come.

The other thing that prompted this thread is that Ron (Snafu) mentioned all these little tools he's been making up for doing just this sort of thing. So I figure some of you others my have come up with methods and tools, or bought something that works really well for you that you'd care to share. In addition, John (Big Bird) made up a tool consisting of a trigger and hose that he uses to spray rust-proofing into all the little nooks and crannies of his truck to keep the rust away and I had been thinking of buying or making something up myself.

Anyway lets hear what the rest of you have to say on the subject.
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Re: Muck & Trucks & Washing & Rustproofing

Post by Snafu »

:lol: I was just making a thread when you started this one :lol:

Here is what I wrote about the tools I made to help get the muck out of my truck. See pic below.

I have a smallish simoniz pressure washer which with the provided wands is a little weak. So I first made two of my own wands with their own hose. These wands have quick connects at both ends to be able to swap out the wands and spray tips. I picked up a pack of assorted spray tips: 0, 15, 40 and soap tips. I like the 40 degree tip the best. With these new tips and wands the spray is stronger than the standard wands.

I also fabbed up a hose connection so I can run these wands off a garden hose. Not as good as the pressure washer.

Parts are readily available from PA. Depending on the sale at the time each wand runs about $50-100, hose is ~$40, other connections ~$20 and time is about 45min per wand. If you buy your own then make sure you size the tip for your pressure washer. I can let you know the size I used for my washer if you want to know.

I use the backwards curve wand for underneath the truck and hard to reach places.

For the rad and condenser I used a section of 1/2" copper pipe with a 90 degree elbow. This is attached to a 1/2" hose with a pipe clamp and controlled with a shut off valve. The section of pip needs to be long enough to reach the bottom of the rad without having to squeeze your hand in there.

For inside the frame I used a small section of 1/2" copper pipe with a 90 degree faucet connection. To this I attached a flexible faucet connection pipe with the faucet end cut off. I bend the pipe so that it easily fits in the frame to blast length-wise. I work my way along the frame blasting muck as I go. This piece also fits nicely in the abs sensor hole to blast out the muck in there (I take my wheel off and spin the rotor as I blast).

Here is a shot of my tools (top to bottom):
- pressure hose
- pressure wand (for regular blasting)
- 40 degree spray tip and garden hose connection
- reverse wand (for underneath)
- rad/condenser pipe (connect to garden hose below)
- frame pipe attached to garden hose with shut-off valve

I would advise that you wear boots! You use a lot of water.

If you would like a set of your own or even just one let me know. I can also lend you any of these if you would like but if you need the pressure wands then please return them quickly (or come and do the cleaning at my place).

For rust-proofing I plan to use some cans of fluid film, tremclad semi-gloss paint (frame rails) and some black rock guard.

I would like to see john's little tool...oh wait a minute that does not sound right :crazy: :o
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
deeker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Rubicon Unlimited
Year: 2008
Tim's: Dr. Pepper!

Post by deeker »

Snafu - what kind of nozzle do you have on the 90* bend copper pipe used for getting the rad cleaned out? I need to make one of those!

Good timing for this thread, but there are going to be a couple more trips before the season is over.
Only crooked politicians and criminals fear an armed population.
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Ron, did you alter the Simonize washer to accept these new attachments or are you running them all off the garden hose?
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Okay, some of the things I'm looking at for the pressure washer.

Flexi Wands. Just like the one at my local car wash. I love this thing and Princess Auto sells them. They come in 18" and 24" lengths, the one at PA is the 18" I beleive.

Gutter Cleaner. Seems to have a good angle for getting underneath the truck and I can use it on my gutters too.

Flex Wand. Will flex up to 90º and is suppose to retain the bend even under pressure.

Now for rustproofing.

John built himself something that is the equivilent to this but I think I'll just buy it, after I find out how much it cost.

From Dominion Sure Seal, they also sell rustproofing in cans and drums. I believe Napa is a dealer of their stuff. Also, Canadian Tire sells a Rust Check product in a small can that should just thread right in to the bottom of that trigger.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

This is something that I have been meaning to look into since I got my truck, but haven't done it yet. I have a low-pressure sprayer already, that looks essentially exactly like what Gino posted up, so I'm set up for that with my compressor.

As for actually spraying this stuff on the truck, are there any specific areas that I should stay away from (exhaust obviously, but others?) and what is the drip like?

This would be something that I would do in the driveway, and although I'm not too worried about it getting all over the driveway, I wonder how much of it will actually drip off the truck...

As for cleaning off the undercarriage and getting into the frame rails, all I have ever done is used a garden hose. You guys with all this high-tech gadgetery are putting me and my simple garden hose to shame! :shock:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Dominion Sure Seal sells this 'No Drip' rustproofing in various sizes, 20 L pail, 60 L keg or 205 L drum. Comes in amber and black. Other than the exhaust you should try and avoid rubber as well. Especially the soft rubber used on the seals around doors and hatches.

Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

deeker wrote:Snafu - what kind of nozzle do you have on the 90* bend copper pipe used for getting the rad cleaned out? I need to make one of those!
No nozzle. Just a copper 90. There is enough pressure from the hose - at least I wouldn't want to go too high of a pressure in case you start bending fins. I suspect you could get an elbow reducer instead but again the pressure might be too high.
X-Treme wrote:Ron, did you alter the Simonize washer to accept these new attachments or are you running them all off the garden hose?
No alterations to the washer required. However, you do need to pick up a hose with the right fittings (or buy the right fittings) to connect to the washer. The fitting at the washer side is standard. At the other end it depends on what connection you want (such as a quick connect that I made to swap wands or you could fix it to the wand without the quick connect. Next time we are at PA I will show you :thumbup: . Most of the fittings are pipe thread.

I should look into the rust proofing stuff and tools. It would be a good time to get inside the frame now that it is blasted out.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Lot's of good info here. I have a simonize pressure washer as well but it can't clean the crap out of the frame very well, and I KNOW there is lots of crapola in there.

Gonna hit up princess auto this week :D

What would you guys suggest to rust proof the inside of the frame rails, that would inhibit any existing rust? I don't want the wd21 frame rot to start on this truck.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa