Shopping For Winter Tires...

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Shopping For Winter Tires...

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well winter isn't far off and I've been looking at winter tires on and off since I got the X and I've looking pretty seriously this past week and I just can't find anything I like. I think I'm being overly critital, but what I'm looking for is something good in snow, deep snow and ice. Not really concerned about ride noise, comfort or a super-long life threadwear. It also doesn't mean that getting the most expensive winter tires is the best either. I'm also looking for something with some good side tread traction. My Mx-3 came with a set of winter tires, I don't remember what they were, never payed attention and that's going back over 6 years ago, but the thread has V-shaped forkes on the side, which was a pain cause I had a hard time getting the car sideways, and I LOVED snow-drifiting, lol, but this being my first winter with a RWD vehicle, I figured that would be a good feature to limit having the rear end slide out.

The tirerack was the only thing I could get some decent info/comparison from. All review sites give limited info that I want, mostly spewing all the same generic information paraphrased using different words. If anything, they concentrate on the ride comfort and sound, as well as the handling qualities, which for me is all irrelevant info. I want something than can get me through the worse of the worse that winter can dish out, and even have a little fun :lol: . If I need good road tires, I've got a set of all seasons. I've heard alot about the BFG's, they're apprently really good in deep snow, but they don't use winter compounts, so they're not really recommended for ice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres ... pe=W&VT=LT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right now from the tire rack comparison, I'm looking at the Lattitide X-Ice. They have nice edge tread and the groove patterns would allow snow to flow outwards and out the side of the tire. The DM-Z3's look good too, but they talk about them being "sporty" Maybe it's just a marketing gimic that's irrelevant. I don't like the rounded edges on the tread of the Pirelli's. The W965 look like a good tire for deep snow, but they talk about them being mainly for commercial use, not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, maybe more marketing mumbo-jumbo too.

I'm mostly just thinking out loud, but I really hate researching tires; I want to make sure I'm happy with them, cause it's not a cheap purchase, and I'll have them for a while. If anyone cares to comment or had any experience or suggestions, I'm very much open to it.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: Shopping For Winter Tires...

Post by Miner »

How can you not enjoy shopping for tires, I think I looked at every mud tire for sale in North America when I bought my Swampers. :?

From my experience any true winter tire will do very well in most winter conditions. Blizzacs (spelling?) are amazing, I had Winter Slaloms on my 03 F150 2wd and they performed flawlessly, BFG AT's are great in snow (not on ice, compounds to hard and not enough sipping) and the new Goodyear Silent Armour AT's look like a good tire (Severe Snow Rated like the BFG).

That being said if the Goodyear Nordics are available in the size you want they would probably be my first choice. The Nordics perform well, if the best winter tire was a ten they are probably an eight, and they are probably the least expensive of the brand name tires.

What size are you looking for?

(I love tires :love: )
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Miner

Post by Miner »

Just opened the new CT flyer, as usual for this time of year, the Goodyear Nordics are on sale.

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Sweet, thanks for the info :)

You know what, I have no idea. Honestly, my X is stock, removed the mudguards mind you, but I'd like to fit the largest I can squeeze in there with no cutting or rubbing, and possibly something just a tad narrower, but I definitely don't want to go wider. I think I can squeeze a 32" in there, but I was looking around a 31x10.50/15 (265/75/15).

If you rate the Nordics an 8, what would you say the Winter Slaloms were?
Miner

Post by Miner »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:If you rate the Nordics an 8, what would you say the Winter Slaloms were?
Probably the same but more expensive. One note is that the Winter Slaloms were available in larger sizes, like the ones on my F150.

My Tire Scale

0 - Worn All Season Tire
1- Brand New All Season Tire
2 - The best all season available
3 - Worn BFG AT or General Grabber AT^2
4 - 50% BFG AT
5 - New BFG AT
6 - New BFG AT with Studs
7 - Worn brand name snow and ice tire or new discount brand snow and ice tire
8 - Nordics, Winter Slaloms, and new brand name snow and ice tire
9 - Blizzacs or other high end incredibly expensive snow and ice tire
10 - Whatever the newest most expensive snow and ice tire is or 9 rated tire with studs

Miner

Post by Miner »

Can you fit 15" rims over the SC's brakes?

Edit - I forgot Northern Feller is running them on their's so I will say yes. It may depend on the wheel though.

The largest Goodyear Nordic I can find on a 15" rim is 235/75R15 (~29"). We'll need to look for other options.

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As far as I knew that there was no difference in brakes between all models of the Xterra, incl the S/C.

I'm looking at getting some Pathy rims from Keith for use as winter rims. I'll get some nice black 15's for some off-road tires...I just need to decide on if, what and when I'll be lifting the Xterra
Miner

Post by Miner »

BFG Winter Slaloms

Tire Size Service Sidewall MSPN Rim Width Width on Overall Tread Revs Per
Description Range (inches) Measuring Diameter Depth Mile
Rim Width

P235/75R15/XL 108Q WSW 82550 6 - 8 9.3 on 6.5 28.9 13 720
P245/75R16 109Q ORWL 97469 6.5 - 8 9.8 on 7 30.5 13 683
P255/70R16 109Q ORWL 90230 6.5 - 8.5 10.2 on 7.5 30.1 13 691

A little better but not on the 15" rim. Are Kieth's rims 15's?

Miner

Post by Miner »

Firestone Winter Force Tires are available in a huge array of sizes; including a 265/70R17. They are also dirt cheap at Tire Rack and my local Firestone dealers. What are you doing with your stock rims?

Note my coworker is still selling his BFG's

weerd 1
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Drewbicon
Year: 2013
Tim's: always

Post by weerd 1 »

diane had the bizzaks on her ford probe they were amazing my parents also have the bizzaks and they live up north and theres have about 50k on them and are still in great shape I have never heard anything bad about them ..so that being said I think they are worth the money...... but I drive all winter on M/Ts
What to do next
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:As far as I knew that there was no difference in brakes between all models of the Xterra, incl the S/C.

I'm looking at getting some Pathy rims from Keith for use as winter rims. I'll get some nice black 15's for some off-road tires...I just need to decide on if, what and when I'll be lifting the Xterra
I have stock steel 15" Xterra rims on my SC right now, so I can confirm that they DO fit...

And I have a 15" Pathy spare rim (from Keith, thanks again buddy!) tucked under the truck, it fits as well, so...

As for Winter tires, the blizzaks are a great tire, but I have always been a little hesitant to pay the extra for them considering that only 55% of the tread is the special ice gripping compound. Once you get through that, it's a regular winter tire compound, without all the micro-capsules...

Not saying it's a bad tire, because it's not, it's an AWESOME tire, just that some of their marketing has you beleiving that the tire has those magic micro-capsules through the whole tread, where is doesn't...

When I had my Spec V, I had Micheline Artic Alpin Pilots (high performance winter tire) on it, and they were fantastic. had absolutely NO complaints about them at ALL, they were awesome in all conditions. :thumbup:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
SkinnyPedal
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Lexus LX
Year: 2006

Post by SkinnyPedal »

Miner wrote: (I love tires :love: )
I'm with you Miner - It's an expensive habit, but one that I will never give up. Whether it be bicycle, motorcycle, car, truck etc. I will always love tires.

For winter, I always ran Toyo Observe G-02 when I had little front wheel drive cars and they were ridiculously good. I used to commute from Guelph to King and Bathurst in Toronto, so they saw some great runs in snow and ice. I run them on my Miata now and love them, so I ended up getting these
for my wife's truck last year and they worked pretty well, although the rears are actually wearing a bit funny. I am hoping it will be a warranty thing so I can get a couple of new ones this year. The problem with TireRack is that they don't carry Toyos, so you can't compare.

If I had to do it over again with the truck, I would save some $$ and just buy a set of BFG ATs and leave them on 365. I can't say enough good things about them!
Cracker
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra XE and S
Year: 01,12
Tim's: Coffee(strong) with milk.

Post by Cracker »

Bridgestone Winter Duelers (the truck equivalent of Blizzaks). These are awesome winter tires and I don't think you will find anyone who has had them say anything negative about them. They are simply incredible. I bought my first set in 2001-02 and they have lasted well - I will be getting the same tire for this winter season.

I bought Michelin X-ice for the Mustang and they are a good winter tire too. I know it is like comparing apples to oranges when looking at how the X handles with snows vs. how the Mustang handles with snows, but I am convinced that the Duelers are about the best winter tire out the for the X. A lot of us "old school" members have them, love them, and wouldn't trade them for anything else once the snow and ice comes. Spend the little extra and you will not regret it.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thanks Cracker! I looked into the DM-Z2's after you mentioned them and they seem to be getting amazing reviews, mostly 5-stars. They seem to be what I'm looking for. I'm still going to look and read around, especially to see what the diff between the Z2 and Z3's are, if any, but I thank you, and everyone, for you inputs.

I've been dead set with getting winter tires. I got them with the Mx-3 and never new what kind of difference it was compared to all seasons. Even on the 626 I just got a set of generics and that thing was unstoppable even in the worse storms. My parents were content with their AWD Escape with all seaons, but they decided to get winters the following year and that thing is just awesome to in the snow...2-3ft snow banks couldn't stop me :) It's my parents Escape, so I can't go that crazy, and it's not that rugged, so I took it easy for the most part, and had to clean the snow out of the fog lights to hide the evidence, lol. Since the Xterra is mine, and tougher, I'm planing on having some fun this winter, as well as I said, it being my first winter with a RWD vehicle. Besides, I do alot of driving for work, so good tires is defintely a must come winter.