Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder[s]
Year: 1980's
Tim's: Large Hot Chocolate

CB Install

Post by Ozzker »

Hey guys! So as most of you know, I picked up a CB from Sandor at the run this Saturday. Im just curious as to what you guys cut the wires into, the radio harness, a cigg lighter, what?

Thanks!!
HotWod
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Re: CB Install

Post by HotWod »

Its best to run an independent pos. and neg. to the battery. That way you don't get interference from the other electrical devices on the same power source. I found a wiring harness that went through the firewall and chased the wire through with it to the battery.
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

If you want a hand with the install, let me know. My wife heads to K/W twice a week for school, so I can tag along with her and help out, or if you don't have the tools, you can come down to Brantford.
Rev
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

There are quite a few threads about this, some pretty recent. try a search for those and you should find a lot of info. :thumbup:

if you don't find your answers then we can hook you up. and ya, run a dedicated line from the battery for best results.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

new4x4'r wrote:Its best to run an independent pos. and neg. to the battery. That way you don't get interference from the other electrical devices on the same power source.
Rev wrote:and ya, run a dedicated line from the battery for best results.
That's fine for the power, but for ground typically you want to keep the ground as short as possible and of course, ground it to a bare-metal surface of the chassis. Normally a longer wire run of the ground will cause more interference. My buddy did that with his Lexus and got a large amount of alternator whine (he should of known better). We shortened it to just a few inches and it largely went away (I was suspecting that's it also a noisy alternator too, especially since you can physically hear it too).

Mine, well,it's just CB, I tapped the power from the dash cigarette lighter and grounded it to the metal frame in the dash and the only noise I get is from and in tune to the sub with the volume up quite a bit. Considering that when I use the CB, the stereo volume is down so I can hear it, it's really not a problem. When I had it grounded at the cig lighter, I used to get noise in tune with my signal lights, lol.

Contradictory, in the last CB-install discussion we had, it seems that some who ran a ground directly to the battery fixed all noise issues on the CB. That goes against what I know and been taught, but who knows...CB's are weird.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Rev

Post by Rev »

Ground close to the CB, but run a dedicated power from the battery. I get 0 noise in all conditions.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder[s]
Year: 1980's
Tim's: Large Hot Chocolate

Post by Ozzker »

Rev wrote:Ground close to the CB, but run a dedicated power from the battery. I get 0 noise in all conditions.
I thinks thats what I am going to do! Thanks Guys!
nige
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

if you're gonna run a dedicated power lead from the battery, don't forget to add a fuse as close to the batt. + terminal as possible. If you scootch the power from the ciggy lighter, you don't need to bother as that circuit is already fused under the dash :dance:
OF4WD Member #5472
Rev

Post by Rev »

http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... all#p24921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;