What's new & exciting on your truck?
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Snafu's Snafu's

Post by Snafu »

I now need 1.5" lift in the rear :x Aside from that I would like opinions on some tires I would like to run before heading to AW (yeah I know - last minute).

Test the newish tires (BFG all-terains 31x10.5x15) last night on the rear while installing shocks. These tires I am hoping to replace my Cooper Discoverers 265/75/16 which are 1" taller than the stock 265/70/16 tires. Even though both tires are suppose to be 31" the BFG are actually more towards 30" in height.

The BFG tires come with 6-bolt rims that were on a chevy truck. They bolt on but have a little (1-1.5") outward offset than stock rims but livable for an ascetics perspective.

Here is a comparison shot on the difference in offset.

Before

After

This morning I started test fitting the BFG's on the front to ensure they would clear the fenders and calipers. Being slightly smaller than my current tires I thought there would be less of a clearance issue.

The BFGs are close to the calipers but they seem to clear (wish I had two tires to take the truck for a run to be certain). Fender fit on the driver side was good but I did required a little cutting on the front side of the fender for better clearance. No problem.

Passenger side is a slightly different story. The clearance issue is mainly at the rear fender. A little whacking got it better and I think I could live with it. I guess the outward offset is causing more of a clearance issue.

For more clearance (hopefully) I tried tightening up the torsion bars to raise the front 1". BTW each turn of the nut is about 1/8" raise in the front. Well I raised the front by what I thought was an inch. Moved the truck for a better view outside.The front is a little too high compared to the rear. About 1.5-2" higher than the rear :crazy:

This will look even worse when the truck is loaded with gear for AW. Guess I am going to have to drop the front back down until I can get some lift in the rear.

My dilemma now is whether I run the tires up to AW knowing that there is a clearance issue when turning tight right or carry the tires up with the load of camping gear and use them only for the trails. If I carry them up then I need to make a carrier of sorts. Maybe I will just run with my coopers for now.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Simon
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Snafu's Snafu's

Post by Simon »

Run your coopers. If you're rubbing now on the street if you hit a trail, you'll rub a LOT more. Then there's a chance of damage. Leave the BFG's until you have sufficient lift to run them, or swap them to your current rims.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Thanks Simon. On the trail I am sure a hard right with heavy pressure will cause rubbing.

I'll stick with the coopers for now and uncrank the front.

Swapping rims won't help. I am running 16" now but these BFG are on 15" rims :cry2:

Anyone want to buy a set of BFG all terrains with rims? Lots of meat left on the tread. $500 sound good?

See you tomorrow :thumbup:
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Simon
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Moe has a set of Pathy rims in 15" for sale, I'd be willing to bet they're the same offset as your stockers......worth a shot.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

I would but I already have two sets of 16" rims and these tires already have 15" rims. So I would prefer not to get a fourth set of rims. I know I could unload them somehow but I have a tendency to collect rather than sell.
Worlds Greatest Acronym: