Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder[s]
Year: 1980's
Tim's: Large Hot Chocolate

Lift for my X

Post by Ozzker »

So guys, with spring getting closer and closer and all this recent lift talk going around ( Good Luck tommorow Dudu), I've decided that it is about time to plan out my lift.

I liked the height of steelcityslicker's (Dave's?!) Xterra. What kind of lift(s) and what height is on that truck?

Also, what all is involved in a lift which parts etc. I'm very new to this lifting process so Im not sure what all is involved and how much needs to be replaced. Also, where is the best place to buy, and is it better to buy a ready to go "Kit" or get individual parts? And How much approximatly am I looking at spending for everything approximatly?

Thanks in advance for al your help guys with my extremly noob style questions, and if all goes well, I look forward to being the first project in the new shop Rod!! :D
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Re: Lift for my X

Post by steelcityslicker »

Hey Ozzker,

When I bought my lift I was in a bit of a rush to have it purchased, installed and ready to go for AW. It worked out fine minus the end links that weren't replaced. It's a 3" S/L and a 2" B/L which is very standard. I didn't go for the 3" B/L simply because of the mods involved, extra money and it doesn't allow for bigger tires anyway. There are different ways to go about it. You don't have to buy a lift package. You can source out the parts individually and save cash. Mine was just easy to order and quicker to get to my door.

This is the lift kit:
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the B/L: which you could probably get cheaper if you source out.
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the bumper relocation brackets for the 2" B/L: which you could have made for 10 bucks.
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=4161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I said I was in a rush so if you have time then you could save a lot. And this package I've listed was less than half of the Calmini package and it was at my door in a week not two months.

Good luck buddy. I'm sure Sandor can chime in and add a different perspective for ya. :thumbup:
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As you can see in his worklog, you can see he's got a 3" suspension lift and a 2" body lift and 33" tires

Suspension lift is basically to get your truck's frame and body higher off the ground.
A body lift is solely to be able to fit in larger (thus taller) tires
Taller tires gets your axle and differential higher off the ground.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Thanks for the information!

Mike, I dont have access to the worklogs yet! :stickwack:

Dave, Thats about the setup I was thinking of too. What tires and rims are you running, more specifically what offset? and can you explain how offset works?

And if you are running 33's, how do they fit ..any rubbing?
steelcityslicker

Again, my wheels are a result of last minute needs. I like them but not what I had in mind at the beginning. I have a friend with a rim repair shop so I got the wheels ordered and mounted really quickly. They are Ultra Wheels - Rogue model - 15x8's with a -19 offset. Even with 5" of lift I still had to trim the fenders and bumper fascia. It's pretty much a given when you want to run 33's or more. But it's not difficult at all and something you can easily do yourself. I would actually like to get steel wheels simply because they stand up to abuse much better than aluminum. If you smack a rock the steel will bend and you can probably bend it back but the aluminum can crack or break off. I guess it depends what you want to do with the truck?

Offset is sometimes difficult to understand but it really is simple. If you want the rims/tires to stick out away from the truck the offset needs to be negative. Factory wheels are usually a zero offset. When you see flat faced rims like a lot of the imports they are positive offset and tuck the wheels/tires into the body. The easiest way to go about it is just find a wheel/tire combo you like on someone else's truck and find out what the offset is, done and done. ;)

Here is a reference (it's for import cars but the theory is all the same)
http://www.nice-wheels.co.uk/pcdandoffset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tell me Ozzker. Since you have a black X does this mean your truck is going to look exactly like mine? :lol:
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra

Post by sandor »

Hey Ozzker,

I'm lifting mine in a a few weeks, and you are more than welcome to swing by and see what's involved. I am doing a pure suspension lift with no body lift. The kit Dave linked to is probably the best route as you get everything you need (or almost everything) in one shot. I pieced mine together over the period of a few months and finally have all the parts to do the lift. Some parts from AC, some OEM Nissan, some internet buys and even some from local auto parts stores...all over the place. Probably spent more than just buying it all from AC, but it is going to be pretty kick-ass when it's done. If you start looking now on some Xterra sites south of the border, you may get lucky and find some pretty good stuff for some pretty good deals. There's always stuff for sale down there.

For now, I am going to be running stock rims with 31's, but that may change in the future.
steelcityslicker

Petey wrote:
For now, I am going to be running stock rims with 31's, but that may change in the future.
Obviously!!! You are just working in stages so Jody doesn't kick your a$$!!! :lol: :thumbup:

And for sure Ozzker, pick Pete's brain sometime. His build will be much better than mine all around not just in cost but also in steering components. My steering is a definite weakness right now but hopefully I'll come across something like Pete did for his. His definitely kicks some serious arse.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Stop, you are making me blush :blush:

If you want to see some serious steering, check out Dave's green truck...while you are at it, check out the lift on that bad boy. You like the look of his black truck? Wait till you see the green one in person.

I am sure I will hear about it the day she finds out it won't fit in the garage any longer due to lift and tires. Here's hoping we find a new house before then with tall garage doors... :lol:
steelcityslicker

I am sure I will hear about it the day she finds out it won't fit in the garage any longer due to lift and tires. Here's hoping we find a new house before then with tall garage doors...
See Ozzker?!!!! This is what happens when you play with trucks. Marriages become strained along with finances. Geez man, don't you see the suffering Pete is going through? The guy needs to buy a whole new house to fit his truck in!!!!

So it boils down to this: Approx. $1000.00 for a lift, $1200.00 for tires/wheels, $800.00 for steering, $250,000-$3000,000 for a new house.
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

And the time you'll be investing: Priceless, lol...

Pete, if u gonna have another suspension lift party, i'd like to come down for that one just to hang around and see what's being done.

Ozzker, did I start the fever of suspension lift? I'm not sure if the cost estimate, which Dave has provided, includes the shipping and brokerage. But one thing for sure, always be prepare to spend more (much more) than what you have anticipated. Its good if you can stay within budget, but in case you need some more stuff, at least you're well prepared.
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
steelcityslicker

I'm not sure if the cost estimate, which Dave has provided, includes the shipping and brokerage.
Ozzker, Andrew Maximus raises a good point. I did not include shipping or brokerage fees but as far as I know they don't add those charges when you buy a new house to fit your truck into?
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 5
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

I did not include shipping or brokerage fees but as far as I know they don't add those charges when you buy a new house to fit your truck into?
Unless you are having the house shipped across the border. Then they would defintiely... tough to hide that in your trunk.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

When I was collecting parts, I had most things shipped using USPS, and therefore escaped the brokerage fees. For my shipment from AC, I got them to ship it using UPS to a US Address (usaddressinc.com), saved a boatload on shipping, drove across the the border, picked it up, told Canadian customs I went across to pick up a package, and got away with no additional fees (other than the stoopid toll fee). I used the money otherwise spent on bogus UPS brokerage fees, and bought other stuff. That's why I probably spent (well, definitely spent) more than Dave, but I also got more stuff.

Another way to save some coin on shipping, is to go in on orders with other people and split the shipping. You order $1000 worth of stuff, someone else orders $20 worth of stuff and split the shipping in half :D
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

If I had to do it all again... I would save a whole lot of $$. Forget the SL. PML and a 2" BL will fit 33's. IF you just do shackles and turn your torsion bars plus the BL, i'm sure you'll be happy. I've been running my set up for 3 ish years now. I'm on my 4th set of upper ball joints, have to replace my lowers now. ALso, my UCA bushings are shot. NBD, but I can't just run down to the CT and buy them... gotta get them from the states. Save the $1200 on the SL and buy bumper/bumpers, sliders, skids, ect.
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

Oh, My cost break down:

SL - $1500 ish
BL - $250
Steering - $600 ish
Tires - $1200
Rims - $200 - cheap, bought them from Drew.
New leaf pack (mine died a horrible death) - $500 ish.

Add it up.. it sucks. Its over 4k. This doesn't include all the poop that breaks. food for thought.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Thanks for all the infromation and throughts guys!

Pete, I will deff come and watch / help with your lift, I would love to learn more about it!!

Dave, Our trucks may look similar, I mean, I do really like your rims ... :lol:

For now I do have alot to ponder on, I know my budget will be approximatly $3000 for SL, BL and Wheels and tires, and maybe slliders if im really lucky! I will probably keep an eye out for used stuff as far as wheels and tires go for now, and have read that a BL can be pieced together for under $70, so that would save me quite abit!!

So so far I have:
SL- $1000
BL - $80ish lets say
Wheels & tires - $1000
Sliders - $400

...So $2500ish so far.

Also, shipping to US is fine for me, im more then happy to ship it to a UPS store and pick it up there to save some money!!

Okay so more questions, Tires, ATs or MTs or Baja style, which style and why? Im looking for something that I could preferably run all summer, I do hve winter treads on my stocks! Also, Dave, you said find a truck with the offset you like and ask ..Well I like how your do srick out abit, That was the aggresive look I was aiming for! So -19, Lol! :P

And as far as steering goes, what would need to be replaced or reinforced? What will break, and what do I need to watch out for. Untill now, I didnt think I had to worry about my steering components.

Thanks again for all the help so far guys, I really appriciate it!!
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

Is this sufficient for steering upgrades?

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=2580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again guys!
nige
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

this, coupled with an idler arm brace should help you

http://grassroots4x4.com/index.php?page ... &Itemid=29
OF4WD Member #5472
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Throw some of these into the mix, and you should be good.
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=437
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Ozzker »

So..

$115 For Idler Brace & such
$230 for Center Link
$80 for Tie Rod adjustors

So $425 Total ..plus the $2500 from before ..leaves me $75 before budget!!

Have I Missed anything?

Also, Lift options ...

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=1956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or

http://purenissan.com/3_lift.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is about $200 price diffrence from the bottom to the top. Which would you guys reccomend and why?

Thanks!!