Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

The Tall and Skinny

Post by Miner »

OK so thanks to Northern Feller I'm looking at another set of mud tires. Short story he is trying to sell my tires and rims out from under my truck; he is that kind of friend.

So I am a firm believer in the tall and skinny. Some of you have seen my 34x10.50x17 Super Swamper LTB's and the dumb grin I get when given the chance to use them :teeth: . As a result I want to stay with an Interco TSL design, nice and skinny (same width or a little wider) and taller :twisted: .

These are what I'm looking at:

Option 1 - 35x12.50x17 LTB-208, these are the slightly bigger brother of the tires I currently have and are basically the max I can fit with my suspension plans.

Option 2 - 35x10.50R17 SSR-42R, radials :| , nice and skinny and tall

Option 3 - 35x12.50R17 SSR-60R, radials again and again the max size I could go

Option 4 - Step up to 18's. I can pickup another set of 18" alloys fairly cheap, I doubt there are more option in the 35x10.50-12.50x18 sizes but maybe.

Option 5 - Do nothing and continue to enjoy the ones I have
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: The Tall and Skinny

Post by Simon »

Option 5 is the cheapest. :teeth: Otherwise, I'd go Option 3. I'm not one for fat tires (mine are approx 33.5x11, damn metric) but I don't really like the look of bicycle tires on a truck either. When going to a 35" tire, I would be wary of a narrow tire prying off the rim when aired down.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

Simon wrote:When going to a 35" tire, I would be wary of a narrow tire prying off the rim when aired down.
He could always use internal bead locks... :teeth:
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

OK, topic was split, please keep on track with the question that was asked in this thread please.

My apologies, and I still say Interco for the win Bob. :thumbup:
northern feller
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra SE
Year: 2007
Tim's: lemon pie, jerkass!

Post by northern feller »

I think in your decision you should also consider two things. The size of your truck and your fender flares (if you still have them on or intend to put them back).

You've got a really nice looking truck and if you could swing a happy medium between a functional size and some good looks that would be a wicked step in the right direction.
2007 Nissan Xterra SE
Zero Mods
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

This got moved in the split, kinda required in both so I brought it back.
Miner wrote:
Bender wrote: Miner...as long as you stay with Interco, I personally think your choice will be the best one. ;)
:thumbup:
Simon wrote:Option 5 is the cheapest. :teeth: Otherwise, I'd go Option 3. I'm not one for fat tires (mine are approx 33.5x11, damn metric) but I don't really like the look of bicycle tires on a truck either. When going to a 35" tire, I would be wary of a narrow tire prying off the rim when aired down.
I think fit and price will be the primary drivers on this one. So Option 5 is a stand out, I know they fit and they're paid for, I would think the real choice would be between the LTB-208 ($) and the SSR-42R (size).

northern feller wrote:I think in your decision you should also consider two things. The size of your truck and your fender flares (if you still have them on or intend to put them back).

You've got a really nice looking truck and if you could swing a happy medium between a functional size and some good looks that would be a wicked step in the right direction.

So your saying it doesn't look good now :?

When it comes to the flares I think you need the tire width and the high stance to pull them off. With just the Mini-Lift (2" front, 1" back) the 305/65R18 (34x12.00R18) All Terrains look good with or without the flares.

Image Image Image

With the 34x10.50x17's I don't feel I have the hight to pull of the flares with the narrow tire. If the truck was a couple inches higher or if the tire was an inch or two wider (or both :twisted: ) it would be a better fit.

Image Image Image
Last edited by Miner on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
northern feller
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra SE
Year: 2007
Tim's: lemon pie, jerkass!

Post by northern feller »

Not at all. I love your truck!! If you're tired of it you know where I live. Drop it off anytime. I'll leave the keys in the Xterra for ya. :teeth:
2007 Nissan Xterra SE
Zero Mods